My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, November 14, 2008

blessed

One of my favorite trees for fall color is not in my yard but in a yard that I pass on the way to church. The last time I went that way it was in full color and absolutely stunning – I believe it is a variety of maple by the shape of the leaves. I do have some colorful foliage down near the pond but the most attractive of these trees are not large – one, a small hickory, was very yellow with all it’s 20 leaves.

I will wait in expectation for these to grow and further expound upon their beauty in the years ahead. These autumnal changes end with something stark and bare when all the leaves drop. But even this gives us a comparison and causes us to more appreciate the new leaves put out in spring.

Some changes come even slower than the seasonal ones – the interstate highway construction in and around Augusta for example. Ever so slowly progress seems to be made but it almost makes me wonder if I will still be able to drive – or even be above ground – when it is all completed.

I have consented to be a character in a play that our church drama group is presenting on New Year’s Eve as a form of ministry. We meet to practice on Sunday AM before the worship service and starting this Sunday, in the afternoon as well. I keep getting the vague feeling that maybe I have bitten off more than I want to chew – but the commitment has been made and it’s for a good cause.

Sunday AM service was great and we were challenged by a message by the pastor’s son – an excellent speaker. GM1 is staying with us while her parents and siblings are away for the week. She was sick and the Spice stayed with her – I went solo to church. Back home and after lunch I developed a bad headache – all headaches are bad but I endure – or enjoy – these less than most.

The result was my non-attendance of PM church and crashing in bed with cranium still throbbing some. Though I wondered if it would, Monday morn came and I woke to find that I had lived through the ordeal. Later in the day I wandered outside to try to get the body moving again.

As the sun was making its farewell appearance for the day, I headed out for my evening walk. It was a bit later than usual and I got to witness the illumination of all three security lights along the way – thrill! Even in the semi-darkness I was able to make out many colors of the leaves. It was cool and perfect for walking – I felt blessed by God to be involved in this endeavor – and headache free. ec

2 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Glad the headache is better. sometimes that's just a warning for some other sickness that is fast approaching.

I've enjoyed the fall color so much this year, .. but the last two days of rain have put a lot of those beautiful leaves all over our yard..

Others in NC suffered tornadoes last night, but none in our area..

They tell us cold is on the way.. and I don't even want to deal with dragging the tender plants inside...

11/15/2008 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - I had just as soon not have another headache, they are a pain in the neck. :) We also had rain and it seemed to wash off the brightest of the leaves. 24F is predicted for here tomorrow night but the only thing I have planted is turnip greens and they don't seem to mind the cold too much. ec

11/18/2008 12:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home