My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

cutting

Sunday arrived and it was everything that Sundays should be – encouraging, uplifting, invigorating, challenging, strengthening and informative – and that was just the AM service. The PM meeting was more of the same and made me glad that we went. Of course that’s what church should be like.

To say that my Monday morning started off with a bang wouldn’t exactly be correct but neither did it begin with whimper. Somewhere between those two I got up, fueled up, scriptured up and headed outside to get a few things done. Going through the garage, I picked up my work gloves, handsaw and landscaping axe – Dmitri by name – and we headed out for adventures.

The exploits started on the east end of our property. Limbs were trimmed, scrub trees were uprooted and all these were carried back to the burn pile. After about an hour there, the tools and I headed to the north border to cut back more tree limbs and small trees. These were shading out one end of the muscadines but mostly they were offering a place for the vines to climb and grow.

Every year when the muscadines are pruned, I have to pull vines down out of those trees. While cutting and trimming, I found a wild muscadine vine in the midst of the underbrush. I cut a couple of the vines of this and pulled them down from the trees. One of these was 22 feet long but the rest of the wild vines will have to wait till another day because I tired of the cutting, chopping and pulling.

Going back toward the house I stopped to clean out a flowerbed just to rest. Upon entering the sanctuary of the house, I followed my custom of getting a pillow and crashing on the floor – especially after very vigorous activities. I did so and even dropped off into the arms of Morpheus for a while.

The Spice came back from some errands and while she continued working I whipped us up some late lunch. I broiled up some small steaks, cooked some rice and warmed up a can of black-eyed peas. This was joined by slices of some of the last tomatoes of the season and turned out to be a fairly good meal. I can cook enough to keep someone alive and life is important.

The Spice’s Mom is not doing well so she went to stay with her and I gathered up the trash and took it to the landfill. Then it was on to the grocery for a few items and back home. Still having a little time before sundown, I picked all the green tomatoes of any size and pulled up the last three tomato plants. I forgot to mention that my turnip sprouts are just now breaking the soil – exciting!

Going for my evening walk, I admired the foliage changes that are just starting in this location. I am constantly enthralled and amazed by God and His creation, we only have to really open our eyes and take a little time for this to happen – plus it is relaxing and invigorating at the same time. ec

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pastor would love that first paragraph!

Sounds like a good day. Will say a prayer for Spice's Mom.

10/23/2008 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Mr. Eddie ~~ You are doing very well de-brambling and uprooting small unwanted trees and generally clearing and burning the rubbish. I wonder why when you get too tired, and have to take a break, why do you do it on the floor. I would not be able to get up from the floor and much prefer my easy chair (complete with heat and massage functions) I hope your MIL gets well soon.
Take care and I am glad you found some funnies on my post. Regards, Merle.

10/24/2008 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

momto3cubs - I sent him the same words so he knows how I feel. :) Thanks for your concern, she has her bad days.

merle - I usually hit the floor because it offers a hard surface to get the back straightened out - so far I can still get back up - slowly. :) ec

10/25/2008 12:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home