My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, October 16, 2008

abhorring

Monday began in ways similar to many other days, inasmuch as the sun coming up and me starting my personal day in the ways of usualness. After these the day went in a different direction in that I went outside to work, something that I had not done or felt like doing in more than a week. As soon as I exited the house I noticed that nature was in the midst of abhorring a vacuum.

The abhorring was taking place in the garden bed that I had cleaned out a week or so ago and took the form of many tiny shoots of weeds and grass just beginning to spring forth from the soil. I foiled the plot by taking my trusty hoe in hand and ending all the hopes and dreams of the garden invaders. This action is to be followed later this week by tilling the soil and planting turnip greens.

Rain had fallen a couple of days before and this caused the fire ant beds to come to the surface in an abundant, growing and prospering manner. Some moments were taken out of the day to interrupt their plans for taking over the property. This was done with my butane torch – I do not poison because of the chance of this getting into the garden, fruit bearing entities and nut trees.

Without going into graphic details, there are several thousand less ants in at least a dozen hills in various parts of the yard. There is always the danger of receiving the revenge of the ants and this happened several times. After causing havoc in the ant communities, I went on to the main project of the day, that of striving to level off the ground at the future storage building site.

After a couple of hours of this manual labor, not to mention some sweat, it suddenly dawned on me that I was not exactly in good condition for this after being inside for more than a week. I wised up and brought my efforts to a halt for the day after expending the last available calorie. When I came inside I didn’t collapse in the floor but I did lie there for a while to recover.

After some rest and a bite to eat, I went back out to finish some minor things that I had been meaning to do. One of these was to clip and save some dried flower heads for seed for next year – both zinnia and marigolds were gathered. Then I collected the dried okra pods, also for seeds for next year. I also pulled up the zinnia plants as well as a couple of exhausted tomatoes from the small bed.

After also pulling up all the okra stalks, I changed to my walking clothes and went for a much needed walk on my usual track. This was only my second time to walk since we have been back from Texas due to a couple of ailments and it was tiresome but felt very good. One might say that my intentions have been good but the actions didn’t follow – that sounds vaguely political – maybe.

Although not back to my usual self, it is good to feel well enough to do what I did do. I enjoyed God’s creation and critters on the outside and that’s a good thing. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

We are finding more and more fire ants around here. They're evil little creatures.

Hope you're having a great week!

10/16/2008 07:18:00 AM  
Blogger Margaret Cloud said...

I didn't know we had fire ants in the good ole USA, I guess I had better consult Google. I enjoyed your blog and must ad I feel like I need a rest from reading it. Stopping by to invite you to come by.

10/16/2008 05:39:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Where does Margaret Cloud live? Must be way up north? I'll have to check her out.

I remember when I didn't know fire ants. In fact, I think the first fireant hill I ever saw was in a small town south east of us. My grandchildren were playing T-ball and the hill of ants was pointed out to me. Now, they are here and everywhere around us. My husband does use the poison directly on the ant hills. Those things really hurt when they bite.

Glad you are feeling better and getting some of your energy back.

10/16/2008 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - I try to go out and burn them every few days and try not to give an evil laugh when I do it. :)

margaret cloud - The fire ants don't get much further north than Kentucky. The actions described in the blog wore me out as well. :)

ancient one - She lives in Michigan and the ants freeze out that far north. I about wish that was the case around here - they got on two of my grandsons and I have been wrecking havoc on them since. ec

10/17/2008 12:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home