My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, October 09, 2008


The first few days after returning from Texas were a bit foggy – not the weather but the physical and mental parts that make up the old codger that I am. Everything seemed to be in slow motion and I really felt draggy. Was it jet lag, trip decompression or just a part of being old? It was hard to get anything done, even getting unpacked and back to normal was quite a chore.

We came home to the problem of a dead battery in our main vehicle – the van. As the next day slowly oozed by on the annals of history I managed to take the battery out and to the auto parts place to have it checked, even though I had already tried unsuccessfully to charge it at home. The official check came up with the same diagnosis and I needed to replace the battery.

Further checking found that the battery was purchased at that location and that this all-important source of cranking power was still under a three-year full replacement warranty for a couple more months. It was with great joy and satisfaction that I exited the place of business with the new battery in hand, having paid only the government mandated fee of less than three dollars!

My expertise in the area of motor vehicles is not great but I do have enough smarts to replace the battery and reconnect the electrical leads. Everything worked fine – except the radio. It requires an anti-theft code to make it work. After much searching on both our parts, the Spice finally remembered the numbers and all was back to normal. The number is now written in a prominent place.

Then Friday evening marched onto the pages of time and presented us with the opportunity to witness the wedding of a young couple in our church. After a beautiful tying of the knot, we traveled to another location for the reception. We felt blessed to sit at the table with a couple that we only knew slightly because we were able to get much better acquainted with them.

After dragging out of the house on Saturday AM, I set forth to clean out one of the garden beds with the eventuality in mind of planting some turnip greens for the winter. It occurred to me some time during this operation that I wasn’t feeling very spry. The normal joy of hacking the trespassing grass and weeds from the good ground just wasn’t there but nonetheless their roots all bit the air.

In the PM, I came back in the house to watch some college football – that was about all I felt like doing. Sunday, September 28th, came and although both of us were not feeling well, we attended the AM service and as always we were glad we did. Even when we are not feeling well, God loves us and cares about our well-being, I am grateful for that. ec


Blogger itsboopchile said...

I had to print this post for Dean. I know he will see himself in it.
Thanks for all you post.
Betty G

10/10/2008 11:23:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I sure hope you're both feeling better soon. Sometimes veering from a normal routine can make you tired. Sure hope you didn't catch a bug.

10/10/2008 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Hope you feel better soon.. I'm feeling draggy today, myself. God Bless You!

10/10/2008 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

itsboopchile - It's good to be a mirror for someone - I think. :)

brenda - It was indeed a bug but it's better now, for which I am grateful.

ancient one - Thankfully my dragginess is not too often - unless I'm unwise in my working/resting ratio. :) ec

10/12/2008 11:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home