My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, September 29, 2008

TX 0908 6

Although we are home now, I wanted to finish the narration of the trip and this post brings us to that point.

The day was still Monday, Sept 22nd, and we were in the shopping center located in Pearland, TX. The area is not a mall but a retro area that somewhat mimics the downtown shopping of years ago, with shops on both sides of the street and down the side streets. Many of the shops were still under construction but it will be almost like a small town when they are completed – with condos on the floors over the shops and a hotel in one section.

Toward the end of our shopping adventure the young ones and I went to a toyshop in which they were allowed to play with toys in certain areas. OD and the Spice were finishing their last shop and later met us at the toy store to go to Red Robin Restaurant for supper. After this we made the 30-40 minute trip back to OD’s home and this old guy sat for a spell, weary of meandering on merciless concrete sidewalks and hard floors.

Tuesday dawned – our last full day in Texas – and the day started with the ladies having to make a trip out to the grocery, GM5 and I stayed to hold down the home front. Later in the day I finished up the main projects I wanted to get done – replacing three light fixtures – and then did a couple of minor ones not on the list. With the exception of FSIL – still on a business trip – we all had supper together and crashed for the night.

We arose on Wednesday Sept 24th – our return home day – to finish the packing started the night before. We were all ready by the time OD returned from taking GM2 to school so we loaded up and headed for the Houston-Hobby airport. The trip took a little longer than usual because as we were coming into Houston most of the traffic signals were still not working due to power outages.

We arrived at the airport, unloaded, said our sad goodbyes and went to check our bags. This was a breeze and even the annoying security checkpoint was not bad. We went to our gate and waited for our departure time to come into reality. Loading and departure of the plane was on time and we arrived in Atlanta without serious incident. We had a half hour wait after we found our gate to depart for Augusta.

Our flight to Augusta was on a turbo-prop “puddle jumper” and somewhat noisy. We hit a few pockets of rough air and seemed to be on an amusement park ride but we made the trip safely. We deplaned and headed for the baggage claim – and our bags were there! That part always makes me happy. YD was coming to get us but was delayed by school traffic – it didn’t matter, we were almost home!!

She came shortly and took us home. It had been a grand adventure but these two old folks were glad to sleep in our bed that night. God was good to us all through the whole trip and I am thankful. ec


Blogger ancient one said...

Yep, ain't nothing in the world like sleeping in your own glad you were able to go and help out and get home again... God is Good!

and yes, Fort Macon is in NC..

9/29/2008 09:09:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Glad you're back home safe and sound. I know you'll be missed in Texas!

9/29/2008 09:25:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - Even after careful reconsideration and a re-sleep, yes, my bed still sleeps the best. :)

brenda - I miss my youngun and her crew but I don't miss Texas, at least not that part of it - too many mosquitos and too hot and humid. ec

9/30/2008 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home