My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fireproof

It is still Friday and the bramble war continues – and the prickly ones were losing.

As at other times one could almost hear these soil breathing plants gasping for dirt as I gleefully yanked them from the good soil and tossed them on the withering discard pile of time. As I finished the garden bed I noticed several dead limbs on one of the blueberry bushes. I cut them off, along with a few more on other bushes and discarded the limbs on the bad pile.

Then I noticed that there was an undisturbed fire ant bed close to another bush – I prefer that all of the ant beds on the property are either disturbed or empty. After getting my propane torch, I explained by show and tell why they shouldn’t bed where they were and most did not live through the explanation. They have to have this explained several times before they form other plans.

Notice how one thing just leads to another. I was planning to get the tiller out and break up the last garden bed I weeded but it started raining so I came in and began peeling and cutting up the last bucket of pears. I filled a 6-quart pot and put them on to cook before I crashed in a heap on the floor.

The Spice had wanted to see a movie and she reminded me of this later when I came back to semi-consciousness. I just had time to jump up and get ready and head out the door. We went to see the movie “Fireproof” – a movie that I would highly recommend to any married couple or anyone planning or even thinking about marriage – it was the best movie that I had seen in quite a while.

It was getting late when it was over and we wanted to get a bite to eat so we went by the Waffle House. It was packed out, probably from local football game attendees, so we just came on home and fixed some grits and eggs. A bit late to eat but it was very good.

We stayed up late and as a result I arose late on Saturday morn – the Spice didn’t arise at all in the morning. She had arranged events so that she could sleep as late as she wanted. I started off the day with sustenance of physical and spiritual natures – then by the time I had checked the news and weather, it was time for the football game to start. That would be the UGA game of course.

It was on past 1pm when I started to get concerned about the Spice – she said she was OK and promptly went back to sleep. She was up by the conclusion of the game – Georgia did win – I was glad. The temp had moderated so I went out for a walk a little earlier than usual. Back inside I went downstairs to exercise – this in an effort to keep this old body in decent shape as long as possible.

Then I hung on the inversion table for a while to decompress the spine – seems to be very important to my backbones. We ate, got ready and left to take the Spice to a baby shower and to make it a multi-purpose trip, I went to the grocery after I dropped her off. I went back to pick her up and they were not finished, so I spent some time in the side room with the guys.

It had been a good day even though I didn’t get much done – I did get to spend time with the Spice and that’s a good thing. After all, the two of us are one in the eyes of God and I am glad about that. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a joyous compilation of activities you have!

10/22/2008 06:49:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Oh how I wish I could sleep in like that.

Hope you're having a great week Mr. Ed!

10/22/2008 08:07:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - I enjoy caring for the place here, even though the work seems to never get totally completed.

brenda - We are a very atypical retired couple, normally staying up late and then getting up late. I can't sleep as late as the Spice, wish I could. :) The week is going very well. ec

10/22/2008 11:48:00 PM  
Blogger Native Pride said...

Oh. how I remember the waffle house. I was in Laurel Mississippi. I sat at the table for about 15 mins. and the waitress came to my table and said she couldn't serve me. Why, because I was the wrong color. Sad but true.

11/09/2008 08:05:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

native pride - Was that recently? It's not that way around here. It is not that way in our church either - all are welcome. ec

11/09/2008 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger Native Pride said...

It was when I was volunteering for the Red Cross. I went down for hurricane Katrina. Groups of us were denied service. Are ERV's where even told to leave certain areas. It is so sad that there is still so much racism in the world.

11/10/2008 02:12:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

native pride - I am surprised at that but especially so with them needing so much help. I agree that it is very sad so many souls are being used as instruments of hate by satan. ec

11/11/2008 08:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home