My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, November 08, 2008

gravel

In the afternoon of the day in question, I finally got the physical cobwebs of the previous several days of heavy activity cleared well enough to get outside a while. A place to put the gravel for my building project was needed so I dug out and formed another earthen basin and also lined it with plastic to hold the gravel and keep it clean – after all the twigs, leaves and dirt are filtered out of it.

After cleaning out some gravel, I quit and went for a walk a little earlier so that I could get back to shower before dark because I would be awaiting the arrival of hobgoblins, since that was the night for such. The Spice was helping out with YD’s crowd since SSIL was out of the country on business.

As it turned out we had no hobgoblins – or any other creature – to come by to receive their treat. My theory on this is since we are at the end of the street and separated from other houses a bit, the effort/reward ratio of walking that far to get a small amount of candy was not maximizing the young ones potential. I remember from back when that I wanted maximum houses – minimum walking.

The Spice came in later with the three youngest of the local gruntmonkeys. They were to stay with us overnight and the next day because their Mom was going out of town with their older sibling on a school band competition. The three were still in their costumes with bags of candy in hand. One would think that they would have run down by that time of night – possible candy high?

GM6 was not too hard to get to sleep but GM3 and 4 were full of themselves and not at all desirous of snoozing at that time. With some effort, sternness (?) and some several short stories later they finally conked out. Had I been a sane and reasonable person, I would have gone straight to bed at that very moment but such is not the case – especially at times – and I was up a while longer.

I went to bed late knowing that I had three ‘alarm clocks’ – in small human form – set to go off at dawn. And next morning, to loosely quote Job, the thing that I greatly feared came upon me. Then I drug out of bed, drug into the kitchen, drug out the cereal, drug out the milk and started three young men eating their morning sustenance. If you got the idea that I was dragging, you would be correct.

The first request voiced after the cereal intake was to ‘go outside’. I put them off for a while for the temp to warm a bit and the dew to evaporate. We did go out a little later for a round of their usual activities – swings, trampoline, the incineration of ‘ant underwear’ and tossing rocks in the pond. Then came lunch and the cajoling of them to enter into nap city.

I was able to watch some college football while they were in the arms of Morpheus and some more, in fits and snatches, after they got back up. We took them back home later to put them down for the night. Their Mom came back from her trip, dropped off GM1 and headed to the airport to get SSIL – returning from his business trip abroad. They got back OK and we went home to rest.

The leaves are coloring, my tiny turnip greens are growing, God is good and all is well. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

Those alarm clocks do like to go off early, don't they? ;)

Loved your writing.

11/09/2008 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Why is it that GM's have to make you tired in order to keep you young?

11/09/2008 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

kila - They seem to be afraid they will miss something - I'm that way too and I do miss something - sleep!

AC - I don't know the answer to that but that does seem to be the way it works out. ec

11/09/2008 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Those GMs will have favortie memories of you that they will share with their children someday. You are a good granddad!

I'm sure they will speak of you as a GOD loving man who worked hard and played hard. They will certainly tell of how you torched fire ants with fire.

We just shake some mess out of a bag on our ant hills. They disappear there and show up somewher else.

11/10/2008 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ I see you are as busy as ever. Good luck getting the concrete
down and then the shed up - sounds like a lot of work. I hope you take it slowly with rests in between bursts of work.
Thank you for your comments and I had a really good time with Peter and Warren. They stayed for a week so that was great.
Take great care, Regards, Merle.

11/13/2008 06:39:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - Just trying to leave a legacy. :) It's hard to tell if they enjoy the visit more, or me. It does seem to be the only thing I accomplish with the ants - make them move - they are stubborn!

merle - My older bro is coming to help me start on the foundation of the shed on Monday - I'll let all know how it goes. ec

11/15/2008 12:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home