My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, December 22, 2008

engrossed

The first definition of the word engross is to occupy completely, as the mind or attention – or to absorb. And the word absorb means to involve the full attention of or to engross. It also means to occupy or fill, as in time or attention. All the subtle nuances of these meanings are true in the area of my time and attention of late. So what are the things that are so engrossing, absorbing and occupying?

The number of these engrossing things would be exactly two. One would be the construction of our ‘outback storage’ building and the other would be the effort of desperately trying to memorize the lines of my part in the play to be presented at our church on New Year’s Eve. You may or may not have come to that conclusion already since these two things have been mentioned a few times in past missives.

So how are these things going? ‘Outback’ is progressing well, though not as well as I had hoped since we are planning a trip to Texas on Jan. 2nd. The basic building is complete, as mentioned before, but now the vinyl siding has been placed on all soffits and the facia has been wrapped. Then the metal drip edge was placed around the edge of the roof and the shingles have been installed – along with a ridge vent.

Along the way I have had the help of SSIL, BIL but mostly my older bro. The outer walls are now partially ‘wrapped’ in a moisture barrier – I ran out of this – and Saturday afternoon we made a start on placing vinyl siding on one of the vertical walls. This latter, while not extremely difficult, is nonetheless time consuming. Another roll of the moisture barrier was purchased on Sunday – that stuff is expensive.

My goal is to have the siding mostly completed by the time we leave for Texas – it remains to be seen whether this will be realized. The second engrossing item – the play – is getting more and more urgent as the time of performance approaches. The reason for concern is that I still draw a blank occasionally during rehearsals. I take no comfort in the fact that this also happens to others.

These engrossers have almost totally cut out any ‘spare’ time I might have had, whatever ‘spare’ time means. You also may or may not have noticed that I haven’t written anything in a while – now you know the reason. Our family time also must be worked into the picture. I am still taking time for the “Word” and still declare that God is good, all the time! ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Take a few deep breaths and you'll do well in everything you do. Merry Christmas!!

12/22/2008 01:14:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am here cheering you on, and you are always so busy, this busyness is nothing new for you, you will make it just fine.
Betty G
Merry Christmas ! !!

12/22/2008 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mr Eddie,

Well, I'm happy to hear you have just been busy and that no one is ill at your place. I was starting to worry that it might be more than just being busy!

I want to wish you and all of your family a beautiful Christmas and a happy year in 2009!

Junie

12/23/2008 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm making the rounds to wish all of my blog friends a Merry Christmas!

12/23/2008 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Brenda - Maybe when the play is over I will have time to breathe. :) I hope your Christmas went as well as ours.

itsboopchile - Thanks for the encouraging words and I hope your Christmas was the merriest one ever!

JunieRose - Thanks much for your wishes - they came true! Hope your Christmas was great as well.

AC - Thanks much and I hope your Christmas was a very happy one also. ec

12/25/2008 11:28:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

I hope the play went/goes well! And best of luck with the projects!

Merry Christmas!

12/27/2008 06:59:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Sure wish I could see your play... I'm sure everyone will do great.

12/27/2008 07:49:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Kila - We have our final rehearsal tonight and the preformance tomorrow night (New Years Eve). The building is now on hold until we return from Texas.

ancient one - Our dress and technical rehearsal is tonight - I do wish they were taping it but such is not the case - I won't even get to see it myself. :) ec

12/30/2008 10:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home