My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, November 30, 2008

occupy

Wow, if busy was a minute I’d be two weeks. It just goes to show that if you don’t write about stuff as you go, especially in a journaling sort of way, then you leave out a whole lot of events. I have been thoroughly occupied, a bit pre-occupied and maybe somewhat post-occupied in the last week or so. And this caused me to have not written a single word on my computer writer thingy.

As on occasion I am wont to do, I looked up the word occupy to (1) make sure I was using it correctly and (2) to further explain the depth of the word in context. The third meaning was to fill up, employ, or engage – that would certainly explain why I have been worn out. The fourth definition – to engage or employ the mind, energy, or attention of – finished explaining why I have been leaving stuff out.

The things that have been the greater parts of my ‘occupation’ have been family events and the construction of ‘outback storage’. We had enjoyed the presence of OD and GM5 since November 18th and then in the late evening of Friday, the 21st, we picked up FSIL and GM2 at the airport to enjoy their presence as well and to bring all their Texas based family back together again.

Mixed with all the family preoccupation was two whole days of working on the outback. On Monday past the bro picked up the pre-fab trusses for the roof of said building and stayed on to lay one course of concrete blocks around the outside of the previously poured concrete pad. Bro left after the laying but it was dark when I finished cleaning up and placing plastic over the blocks in case of rain.

On the evening of Tuesday past, both daughters and clans had supper with us and then we celebrated Christmas for OD and all, since they will not be able to come back for the real one. We exchanged gifts and the young ones squealed with delight at all the appropriate times. We enjoyed our ‘first Christmas’ of 2008 – and tried not to think about their upcoming absence.

We tried to crowd in as many family things as possible since the ‘Texas crowd’ doesn’t get out this way very often. Then Wednesday came and we started meal prep for the upcoming Thanksgiving meal. I would be attending two of these meals, one at my bro’s house and then another at our house at 5pm. The Spice didn’t go to the bro’s since she was occupied with prep at our place.

Thursday morn came and I began my day with spiritual and physical nourishment and then started on the two dishes I was to take to the bro’s. The first was a squash casserole that we had prepared for baking the evening before and the pièce de résistance – my ‘famous’ banana pudding. With the casserole baked and the pudding constructed, I set out to my bro’s place.

Being among the first ones to arrive, I was able to get a head start on the talking and laughing that is always a part of our gatherings. All the dishes were brought, lined up on the long table row and after all had arrived, grace was said and the consuming began. It was a peaceful and jolly gathering of just enjoying being together and as mentioned, much laughter.

All too soon came the leaving time but God is good to have allowed us to gather once again. ec

2 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Occupy 'til HE comes...staying busy is the name of the game for the next few weeks...we're still eating left overs. Cooked way too much pie, and guess who's having to eat it? Yum Yum I'm glad we were all able to get together for Thanksgiving. Don't know yet how Christmas is going to go...Then we have another wedding in Jan...so I guess I'll be occupied for a time.

Have a good Day!

12/01/2008 04:05:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - This is a great time of year for us, with the gatherings of family and such - with emphasis on the busy. ec

12/02/2008 11:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home