My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, January 03, 2009

postponed

January 2nd was to be the day that the Spice and I were to fly to Texas to visit with OD and crew but it had to be postponed. It seems that my favorite lady has come down with pneumonia (Dec 31st) in both lungs and I am sticking close to home to ‘nurse’ her back to health – this while fighting off some sort of bug myself. I am grateful that she did not have to be hospitalized but she is still one sick lady.

New Year’s Eve marked the date of our play presentation – ‘the money in Uncle George’s suitcase’ – and it came off without major incident and from all reports was hilarious. I was a bit busy during the play but the laughter sounded great. My bro and SIL were able to attend and enjoyed it. YD and GM1 were also there – they approved of the performances, especially that of their ancestor – me, aka ‘Uncle George’.

Even though I was very concerned, the Spice also attended – with her doctor’s reluctant permission – but only if she wrapped up and sat in an isolated spot. Our play director sent one of the backstage help with a chair and she sat on the walkway that overlooks the gym/fellowship hall – she also enjoyed the event.

The play made me glad on several accounts – I was glad that I was able to learn my lines, glad that I didn’t forget my lines, glad to have been a part of a talented and hard-working team, glad that it brought laughter into many lives and finally I was very glad when it was all over. I will remember most of the lines for months and will probably never forget a few of them – funny how the mind works.

The cast stayed around to welcome in the New Year along with about half of the audience – the place had been pretty much packed out. We counted out the old year and welcomed in the new one – I with mixed emotions since the Spice had to go back home after the performance, she had ridden with YD and GM1. I got home about 1am and was much too keyed up to sleep – I finally wound down about 3am.

On Jan 1st, I went out to the airport to tell them that we would not be able to make our flight. This fact was entered into the computer and the date will be changed when I go back out Monday with a letter from our doctor validating the Spice’s condition. We plan to go back sometime in February.

Many winter weeds are in our garden, but the only thing growing on purpose is turnip greens and I had picked, washed, cut up and cooked some of these for our PM meal, aka supper. Then I also cooked up some black-eyed peas, potatoes for mashing and a pone of cornbread – this latter required a trip to the market since our meal had gotten stale. The Spice felt well enough to mash the potatoes.

We thoroughly enjoyed this traditional southern meal that typically starts our new year in this locale. We welcome the New Year with some concern, much hope and absolute faith that God is still in control of our world, no matter what the news networks are reporting. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

As one who has been hospitalized 3 times with pneumonia,I understand what Spice is going through. You both are in my prayers.

1/03/2009 01:27:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope your January improves. Spice has my best wishes for her health and happiness for a new year, too.
Take care,
Betty G

1/03/2009 02:27:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Glad the play went well... sorry that Spice is sick... Hope she gets well soon!!

1/03/2009 06:14:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Thanks for the prayers. The Spice has had a tough time but I believe she has turned the corner. As you know it just takes time.

itsboopchile - My Jan. is improving since the Spice is slowly but surely recovering. Hope your New Year is a good one also.

ancient one - The play was a real hoot - but I'm glad it's over, it had been almost all-consuming in the area of time. The Spice seems to be over the worst of her illness. ec

1/04/2009 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear that the Spice is doing better. My prayers continue.

1/04/2009 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Thanks again. ec

1/05/2009 12:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home