My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, January 12, 2009

not yet

A phrase is a sequence of two or more words arranged in a grammatical unit – and entering into this arena of verbiage is the small phrase – not yet. These two small words tend to be very disappointing to the questioner, especially if the curious one is a small child asking if the day is Christmas.

In the olden days, when men were not allowed in the delivery room at the birth of their children – they were “in the way” – they too were disappointed when the nurse told them over and over again – not yet. This answer would also displease our young ones when they ask for the umpteenth time, are we there yet?

This answer also applies when I wonder if the local highway construction is completed. Not yet. This answer is definitely in the negative because I am really wondering if they will ever finish up – no matter what completion dates they keep publishing.

Although these two words are in the negative sense, they can show an amount of faith. The ‘yet’ in the phrase means: at the present time, or up to a particular time, or thus far. To me this means that although an event is eminent and expected, it hasn’t occurred at that present space in time. Or else we might think that we would never have Christmas again, or the child will not be born, or we won’t arrive.

Continuing with this phrase in the positive sense and folks ask me if the Spice is well, I say, not yet, because even though she is improving and is expected to fully recover, she has yet to arrive at well city.

Also if one were to ask me if I was through with the outback storage building, I would have to say, not yet. As far as the building is concerned, it is completed as of Saturday when I placed the last piece of siding but I have not had the door installed, so it cannot be used. Also I have some grading to do in front of the structure and a retaining wall to build in the rear, as well as pouring a cement ramp in front.

I received a small digital camera for Christmas and someone might ask how many photos I have taken already and I would have to say none – at least not yet. To go further, if I was asked as to whether I had read up on how to operate this small instrument my answer would have to be – not yet.

If one were to ask if I had caused enough smiles or joy to be in the lives of young ones – especially our gruntmonkeys – I would have to say, not yet – though I strive mightily in that direction. And if the question to me was – have you encouraged enough folks or tried to lighten some one else’s load enough, again the answer would have to be, not yet – though that is my continuing effort.

Am I ready to meet Jesus, either by my death or in His second coming? YES!! If faced with the same question, my hope is that you would not have to say – not yet – because Jesus is ready to receive you anytime you call on Him. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

At last...

If you had asked if I'd commented on your post just a few seconds ago, I'd have said Not Yet! Blogger made me try, try, again...LOL

This was a great post. I hope Spice will soon be completely well.

And I hope you will soon read up on your camera and start posting photos ...

And I hope that your Outback building will soon be finished...

And I hope there will be lots of other projects you will find to do...

'Cause I do love reading about your adventures from day to day...

You really have a way with words...

And YES, JESUS, is my savior!!!

May GOD Bless You Always!

1/14/2009 08:50:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not yet are good words, words that can cheer us.
Is spring here yet, no, not yet, but it will come.
God gave us this promise.
Betty G

1/14/2009 09:09:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Wonderful post :)

1/14/2009 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Great post and there are so many things we put in the
'Not yet' basket.
Thanks for your comments on the photos of my cousins and myself ~ we
did enjoy every minute we spent together. I think a lot of us related to the healthy level of insanity. Take care, Regards, Merle.

1/16/2009 07:40:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

May be your best post!!!
Betty G

1/17/2009 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - The Spice is still on the road to recovery but not fully there. My projects are seemingly multitudinous but they are slowly being worked on - depending on the weather. And thanks for your kind words.

itsboopchile - Yes, spring is on the way and wow, I have so many things to complete before then. But these chores do keep me out of trouble. :)

Kila - Thanks much!!

Merle - Those smiles on the cousins looked very genuine. :)

itsboopchile - Thanks!

1/20/2009 12:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home