My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Saturday, June 02, 2007

44 years

The date was June 2nd 1963. It was 3pm on Sunday afternoon and a very naïve and shy young man followed the minister out of the side room of the church, followed closely by his older brother. This latter person was his best man and hopefully would catch him if he passed out. The congregation and other members of the wedding party were in position and now all awaited the bride to make her entrance.

When she came in on the arm of her father, all else disappeared, my breath caught and my knees went weak. Down the aisle she came, a vision in white and a thousand thoughts and doubts went through my mind, draining any pretense of confidence that I had just moments before. Then words were said and her father passed her hand to me and sat down. I tried to smile but it felt like my face would break and as I looked into her eyes, I realized that we were both scared beyond words.

Though I stumbled weakly through the vows, I meant every word then – and now – and then right at the end I got a slight bit of strength back and followed through with the suggestion of the pastor. He had told me that when it came time to kiss the bride, he did not want just a little peck but a real kiss that could be an example to anyone of what a kiss should be. When he pronounced us man and wife and gave his permission to kiss the bride, I laid one on her. The kiss continued until giggles started and the new bride started resisting. We then went arm-and-arm down the aisle and into our future together.

It has been 44 years now and our avowed love still remains and has grown much through the passage of time and trials of life. I realized long ago that I knew little about real love when we were united but I did mean every word of the vow and have never looked back. The Spice is my best friend, confidant, crossword puzzle partner and a very strong woman for putting up with me.

I felt way back then and do today that God brought us together and He would help us stay together if we would follow His will and ways. We are on our way to forever together – so far, so good. ec

10 Comments:

Blogger jay are said...

What a beautiful beautiful tribute. Very happy anniversary. Here's to many more years!!

6/03/2007 02:39:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ Congratulations
to both you and your wife on achieving 44 years of marriage
together and I hope you have many, many more happy years to share.
You have both been a wonderful example to your family and I am sure
they know that. Take care, Love and Best wishes to you both. Merle.

6/03/2007 03:24:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know what it takes to survive the first years of marriage, not of fights, etc., but of separation. Dean in Europe and me back home.
So, I congradulate you for having the love to keep on keeping on for 44 years.
The years get easier, believe me, when love is there.

Betty G

6/03/2007 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations, Mr. Eddie. Forty-four years is a long—very long—time for a marriage to last in these times. Yours is an inspiration to the rest of us. (My marriage lasted on thirty years).

As I read your post I thought back to the two hundred or so weddings I have officiated. I remember explaining to best men and grooms the reason for the order in which we enter the sanctuary: as minister, I lead the groom into the sanctuary; the best man follows the groom to make sure the groom doesn’t bolt and run.

Happy anniversary!

6/03/2007 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Happy Anniversary, Mr Eddie and his Spice. Congratulations on 44 years!

6/03/2007 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Yours Truly said...

Woo hoo! Congrats on 44 years! That is wonderful, and I did enjoy the memory you shared of your wedding day! May there be many more joyful years together!

6/04/2007 02:58:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Awww...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

6/04/2007 08:27:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Happy Anniversary to you both!

That is a beautiful tribute to your marriage.

Junie

6/04/2007 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jay are - Thanks, many more years are the things we are planning.

Merle - Thank you, these years were not done a year at a time but one day following another, sometimes one hour.

itsboopchile - The separation would be tough. Like you say, the years are easier when love is there.

SSN - Thanks - that function of the best man didn't occur to me, probably because my knees were too weak to run. :)

jayleigh - Thanks, they have been good ones.

yours truly - Thanks, it was touch and go during the ceremony but I managed to stand up through the whole thing. :)

kila - Thank you much.

junierose - Thanks, I wouldn't trade her for anything. :) ec

6/05/2007 09:43:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Late as usual, am I not?

Belated Happy 44th and my wishes for many more.

6/08/2007 12:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home