My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, August 20, 2007

wrinkle

What is a wrinkle? The dictionary has several definitions and I would like to speak of three of these. First definition is a small furrow or crease in the skin, especially of the face, as from aging or frowning. A problem or a fault is also called a wrinkle. A wrinkle can also be an innovation or trick, this is sometimes used with ‘new’. I realize that these things are mostly well known to all of you but this hasn’t stopped me in times past from expounding ad nauseam about other things.

Several things in the area of lifestyle choices can cause wrinkles in the skin. These would include sun damage due to overexposure (too much tanning) – exposure to cigarette smoke (1st or 2nd hand) – and rapid weight loss (fad diets). Many of these exposures and events happen when we are young, strong, and “bulletproof” and the bad results come at a later year. Stepping down from his soapbox, the grizzled veteran with many skin cancer removal scars goes on to a slightly lighter part of his post.

The main factor in wrinkle formation is aging and a certain amount of this is unavoidable unless we die young. Over the years, the skin loses its elasticity and just doesn’t spring back to its smooth youthful wrinklelessness. Several things are used to try to get rid of these wrinkles – skin cosmetics, injectables, chemical peels and surgery. Most often, all we get rid of is a large chunk of our cash.

Habitual facial expressions also form characteristic lines or wrinkles. A constant “frowny” face would cause one type of wrinkles. A similar, yet worse, wrinkle pattern would be caused by an attitude of “you mess with me and I will hurt you”. There is the “I don’t have a clue” facial expression, but even that carries a few unwanted wrinkles. The only way I can think of not to have wrinkles at all is to cultivate a blank face but that is hard to do and even harder to maintain.

Then there is my favorite kind of wrinkles – the smile ones. I’m not even sure that smile lines could even be called wrinkles, plus they are the best way to beautify the face.

The definition of wrinkle that means a problem or fault is illustrated in the fact that the water level of the pond continues to drop. The last small island has not only joined “Stump Island” but they have also become a peninsula. As the pond level depreciates with no appreciable precipitation in anticipation, and continues in its evaporation, the fish will soon be approaching expiration.

The last definition of wrinkle in consideration is that it means an innovation or trick. An example of a new wrinkle is found in the 24 Canada geese on the pond – and one male mallard duck. The duck is only about a quarter of the size and weight of the geese. As I was scouting about and checking the water level and such, I noticed a strange thing in the actions of the duck and geese.

The duck would swim with its head laid back on its body in what I assumed was a threatening posture and any goose it swam toward would nervously swim away and the ones nearby would give him a wide berth. My observation of this new wrinkle lasted about 30 minutes and it was the same thing every time. This ornery duck could have been in the martial arts – maybe he was a kung-fu duck. Was this the reason for the goose feathers on the pond that were mentioned in a past missive?

I am glad that most wrinkles don’t hurt, with the exception of the one that I recently surgically altered while shaving. Whatever wrinkles you happen to be facing at the moment, God will help us “iron” these out – if we will allow Him to do so. This will take a bit of time and a good hot iron to get things straight – possibly because we let the wrinkles build up before we ask for help. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

God needs a mighty hot iron to smooth out the wrinkles of the dilemas in our lives here this week. Maybe a steam iron will do.

Happy Tuesday EC!

8/21/2007 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Loved this post!! All of it!! You are such an observant and thoughtful man. God Bless You!!

8/21/2007 09:58:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Yay for the duck !!
One against many and he's the boss.
I don't mind wrinkles at all as I feel they show character and hope most are from smiling. Who wants a
blank expression? Thank you for your words on the loss of my friend, -too
young and too sudden. Take more care
when shaving!! Regards, Merle.

8/21/2007 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Mr. Eddie,

I enjoyed this post so very much!
Thanks for sharing all this with your readers!


Junie

8/21/2007 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Yours Truly said...

Yes, thankfully God can take care of wrinkles of any depth and shape! I am so thankful for that!

A fun post Mr. Eddie!

8/22/2007 02:10:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I believe that I noticed a new wrinkle below my left eye as I washed my face a few minutes ago.

8/22/2007 02:43:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - Sometimes God uses the heat more and sometimes the pressure to smooth us out - and maybe even steam. :)

ancient one - Thanks a lot! God has blessed me more than I deserve.

merle - The smile lines are the ones that really show character. The duck may have had a few mean wrinkles, I didn't get close enough to see. :)

junierose - Thanks much, I enjoyed the writing thereof.

yours truly - So true - He has straightened and smoothed me out many times and in different ways.

SSN - I find it a bit discouraging to even look in the mirror except to see how my smile is doing with its face beautifying project. :) ec

8/23/2007 12:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home