My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

2007 MS reunion 2

Friday, August 3rd, began without our permission but we arose anyway and had a bit of breakfast with the aunt and uncle. We chatted much with them and later went up the hill to their daughter’s house for a visit. This cousin has health and mobility problems but a while back they got her a motorized chair and this combined with her husband making them a large patio has really enlarged her horizons. She can now get outside, see to the flowers and play with her dog.

We chatted a while on their patio and then went in for a tour of their home. I had been inside before but not since all the rooms had been decorated and such. It is an amazing house with every room looking like it should have been a picture in a magazine. To add to all this, her husband is building an elevator for her to be able to go upstairs – notice that I didn’t say he was having one installed, he is building it himself. He is a highway bridge builder and I don’t know of anything else he can’t build.

After being thoroughly amazed at the house, we went up the road a ways to see where her husband and his business partner are building a sawmill. This is a very large affair that receives logs and saws them into lumber of specific sizes. Their specialty output will be crossties for the railroad and material to make pallets for warehouses. I was wowed by the undertaking and by the size and scope of the building and machinery. They are trying to get it finished up to turn the cash flow around to some inflow instead of all outgoing.

We went from there back over to my older sister’s place to chat with them some more. Then it was back over to the aunt and uncle’s to clean up a bit because they were taking us out for supper. We drove over to Red Bay, Alabama – about 9 miles – to a local steakhouse for our evening repast and had a very good meal together. We went past a couple of local industries on the way, a dog food manufacturing plant and a plant that builds motor homes. I found out later that one of my grandnephews works at that RV plant.

We had a couple of stops to make after our meal and the last one was at the local country cemetery – Mount Zion – where several generations of my relatives are buried, including my Mom and Dad. Our family reunion always coincides with the Decoration Day for this cemetery. We placed flowers on the head stone of my grandparents but didn’t linger because my uncle wasn’t doing very well and we went on back to their home.

We left them there and went back over to the sister’s house to see the other folks that had come in for the reunion. Another nephew had arrived and my younger sister and her husband came in while we were there. We laughed and talked much but finally went back to aunt and uncle’s for the night. I was grateful for the kinfolks, the event that was bringing us together and to the One that loves us no matter where we are. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

We have family reunions too. In May for my husband's family and in September or October for my mother's family. Quickly, my generation is becoming the elder folks. My mom and her two brothers are left out of the 18 children born to my Grandfather. (and mama is the oldest)

8/08/2007 08:28:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - We have the two main ones a year this one and a local one in June. The uncle we stayed with and his cousin are the only ones of their generation that are able to attend the reunions. Time really gets away. I'm glad for you that you still have your Mom around - mine passed on Mother's Day of 1997. ec

8/08/2007 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

Wow, your mom passed on Mother's Day 1997? That was the due date of my first son--the day I was to become a mother. May 11, 1997. He arrived a little early, on May 1st.

What a tough day to lose your mom.

The reunion sounds nice so far!

8/09/2007 01:33:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ You seem to be having a lovely time meeting up with so many family members. These are really wonderful times to see and talk to, and remember all the dyas gone by. Continue to enjoy.
Thanks for your comments, sorry I make you hungry - it is good to be ahead with some meals stowed away - as one never knows what is ahead.
Thhank you for your good wishes for Joh joining the Aust. Defence Forces. I trust he will enjoy it once he gets used to the routine. He is not afraid to work hard.
Take care, Best wishes, Merle.

8/09/2007 04:42:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Please visit my blog today. I've chosen you for an award. :)

8/09/2007 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

kila - It was tough for us but it was the best Mother's Day gift that Mom ever got - to get to see Jesus.

merle - It was a very good reunion all the way round. Joh will probably the better for the training - afterward - going through it will not be fun at first.

ancient one - Thanks much for the honor - now if I only knew how to transfer it to my blog. :) ec

8/09/2007 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your cousin and her husband sound like very special people.

8/10/2007 08:41:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - They are indeed, even with her disabilities she still keeps the books on their business and keeps the house as best as she can. ec

8/10/2007 11:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home