My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

monday stuff

Monday dawned and the day found all of our company departed and we made efforts at getting back into some sort of routine. My day was begun with its usual physical and spiritual components. Then I went outside to pick the veggies of the garden. The tomatoes are producing at a tremendous rate and I picked three plastic grocery bags full by the time I finished. It seems that I have more than we can eat and evidently more than I can give away.

Most of these tomatoes are the round type, Parks Whopper by name, but we also have a couple of plants of the Roma variety – these are the smaller, pear-shaped kind. These latter seem to be a little less acid and better tolerated by my stomach. The temp during the picking operation was almost as high as a few days ago but the humidity was much lower and my body tolerated that better.

Next was the squash row and there were many of them but during the hurried picking last week, I missed some and many had to be tossed as being too mature. Then I moved on to the okra row – the location that required some work last week. We had a windy storm come through over a week ago and it bent the plants over and they failed to straighten back up. I had driven down some stakes and placed a long horizontal board to push them back upright – don’t recall having to do that before.

The okra was cut and it was a good amount even though some of that also had to be tossed for being too mature. In case you are wondering, the veggies getting too mature comes from not picking often enough. It came time then to pick the cucumbers and they were so droopy – in fact they looked about like I was feeling by then – that I decided to turn the sprinkler on the garden and pick them when they were feeling a bit perkier.

The Spice had taken her Mom to the doc as a follow-up to the emergency she had the other day and she seems to be doing OK. They had gone by after the doctor appointment to pick up a piece of furniture MIL had ordered and the Spice called me when they got near home. I went over and with my trusty hand truck/cart and with a helping push from the Spice, got the piece into the house. BIL arrived and we got the piece de-boxed and set in its proper place. He was going to handle the set-up of the shelves and such so I departed back to our house.

This was the time I decided to cook up some of the fresh veggies I had just gathered – for a late lunch/early supper. First I put some olive oil in a pan, put cut up onions on that and then added the sliced squash. The next pan held the cut up okra that had been dusted down with corn bread muffin mix. While these were stewing in their own juices, I put some frozen “chicken pieces” on a baking sheet and in the oven to thaw and brown.

The Spice came in totally exhausted from the rigors and excitement of the last week, caring for her Mom and the emergency and such – plus not sleeping very well during that time. It had all caught up with her and she straightway went to bed. The food preparation was then completed but I didn’t have the heart to wake her so I ate alone and enjoyed my own cooking – as did the Spice when she arose from her nap. She then went and picked up GM3 and GM4 to take them to our church’s vacation Bible school.

Such was our Monday and still a blessing and gift from God. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Posting about Monday on Wednesday? You're as behind (or as confused) as I am, Mr. E.!

7/26/2007 07:44:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

God gave us a bounty of tomatoes again this year too and I've canned a great many of them for the winter months. Fresh veggies are the absolute best, aren't they?

7/26/2007 09:09:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

And it's all healthy stuff too.

7/26/2007 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - It seems that the hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. I have been playing catchup (or ketchup) for about a week now - I am finally just about current.

brenda - That is a good idea but I just haven't had the time to do it - so I'm just going to give most of them away. That would be the ones that we don't chow down ourselves. :)

AC - One can even get stuffed with healthy stuff - I should know. :) That is another reason I have to walk a lot. ec

7/26/2007 11:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home