My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

blooming

Arriving home on a recent evening and having driven the car that resides outside the garage, I was struck with a feeling of nostalgia when I opened the door and heard the cricket noises. I was instantly transported to the nights of my youth when we slept with the windows open and listened to the many noises of the night. This was the nightly symphony and lullaby that sent me off to dreamland.

My garden is doing very well in spite of the fact that we have had little rain. I turn the sprinkler on it between rains to keep it going until the next natural water descent. All the veggies are producing to the max and we have all the produce we can handle. The cucumbers in particular are working overtime, the frig is full and the counter top has quite a congregation as well. Many squash, cucumbers and tomatoes have been given to family and friends. The okra is just now starting to come to fruition and needs to be cut about every third day.

The zinnias that I plant annually in one of the two small beds are in full bloom and they are a treat for the eyes every time I look out the kitchen window. The yearly planting of marigolds are just starting to bloom and are adding their color to this portrait of natural beauty.

Several evenings ago, as I was just beginning my evening walk, I came up on the geese just beyond the yucca assemblage. The flock included the two parents, their five offspring and the two ‘grandparent’ geese. As I got closer they started walking toward the pond, as I drew even closer, 5 of the group spooked and flew out into the pond. Until then I wasn’t aware any of the younger ones could fly. Since there were 9 in the flock, at least one of the fliers had to be a young one or possibly all five were – the other four just hurriedly walked down to the water.

Several nights later the mystery was solved when I approached them again – this time the 2 parents and 5 young ones were separate from the two extra geese. As I got close to them, all seven of them took off and flew to the pond next door – I felt fortunate to be able to see their development from fuzz balls to flying adults. So far they seem to have adopted these two ponds as their home.

The night passed and the morning came as it almost always does and we prepared breakfast for the Spice’s Mom and Aunt. During the meal, the skin doc’s office called to inform me that they had a cancellation and wanted me to come in to have a growth removed from my face. The spot had been biopsied and found to be a bad thingy that didn’t need to remain there. The surgery was scheduled for the 25th, but I was only too glad to go in and be rid of this skin trespasser early. This was done and I will have to put up with the stitches for a while, it will be analyzed to be sure she got it all.

A while later in the day, I went over to the daughter’s place on an errand and noticed many flowers on the way. Many of the residences had lantana that was blooming, mostly yellow but some with the red and orange as well – impressive, I didn’t know there was that much of it in the area. There were many crepe myrtles as well and in one yard was a large hibiscus – it wasn’t blooming as yet but I’m most sure that is what it was. I have never planted hibiscus in my yard but I have grown its cousin in the garden for many years – okra – it is also related to the cotton plant.

God’s creations in the natural world have always amazed me and I’m always on the lookout to see the beauty that He made for me to enjoy. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

Photos aren't hard with a digital camera if Blogger cooperates. It leads you through the process.

On the other hand, your descriptions make it easy to "see" your gardens.

Thanks for the comment, as always.

7/11/2007 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

God's beauty is the reason I enjoy my camera so much. I try and try to capture it so I can look at it later but it's never quite as spectacular as His work is.

I hope the stitches aren't too awfully itchy and painful!

7/11/2007 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

Crickets are the best lullaby.

How wonderful that you have fresh, healthy veggies to enjoy!

I hope your owee heals quickly!

7/12/2007 01:21:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It sounds like a wonderful garden. You have the right climate for it, I guess.

7/12/2007 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Speaking of the garden, I just picked veggies and they are so much more than we can use - if you were closer I could share.

brenda - I used to enjoy making photos but it seems I'm just about too busy - maybe someday. Got my stitches out this morning - feels much better.

kila - We have plenty and some to share - the taste is so much better when it comes straight out of the garden. My owee was on the side of my face and I had to shave around the stitches - it looked like I had grown a little caterpiller. Finally shaved the critter off before I had to name him. :) ec

7/12/2007 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - Your comment came in while I was answering the others. You are right, this climate is great for a garden - and for bugs too. I enjoy the former and could do without the latter. :) ec

7/12/2007 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

I've noticed that so many of God's creation (flowers especially) look alike... but not quite... each has its own look. You are right about the okra and the cotton flower and the Hibiscus is just larger. Rose of Sharon blooms fit right in with these. I think I like your word discriptions as well as I would pictures.

We didn't plant a large garden this year. Just tomatoes, cukes, squash and okra. Have been sharing squash and cukes. A neighbor has returned the favor by bringing by a jar of pickles she made from the cukes...so good!!

I'm still picking blue berries from my young bushes. All of us love Blue Bery cobblers!

I enjoy hearing of all these weddings. Two of my grandchildren are planning weddings for next year.

Til next time.. I have enjoyed your blog...~ann

7/12/2007 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - My garden is not very large and what you mentioned is exactly what I raise every year. Glad you are getting blueberries, the late freeze we had here did in my whole crop, the first time that has happened in the 25 years I have been growing them. Oh well, next year is another year. ec

7/22/2007 01:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home