My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, July 06, 2007

reading

We returned from our “ritzy” adventure about a quarter past four and I promptly hit the recliner for a nap. Awaking about an hour later I realized that I should go see a friend of mine that I had corresponded with for several years while he was in “confinement”. He had gotten out just a few days before and even though I was not feeling particularly well, I still felt that I needed to visit him.

He is staying with his parents and the route to their place took me by way of the I-520 bypass. They are now working on the last segment of this roadway that will eventually end back at I-20, about five miles into South Carolina. It is scheduled to be completed in 2009 but the way things get delayed, I hope that I am still able to drive when it is finished. I found the house without any problem and he met me at the door. If he had not sent me a photo of himself several months back, I would not have known him – the last time I saw him personally was when he was a teenager about 32 years ago.

Had a very good visit with him and his parents and strived to encourage him in the Lord, he had become a Christian during his confinement. At this time he needs a friend and that is what I will try to be. I left them in time to get to our men’s cell group meeting at 8:30 – we are in a very informative and uplifting study that has to do with living without taking or holding offense. This is a very needed thing in our world since it seems to be so easy to offend folks anymore for any number of reasons.

When I got back home, the Spice read some more to me out of the book we started reading on our ritzy adventure. We occasionally read aloud to each other, but I was a bit worn out so she read this night. We were reading in the kitchen and finally decided to go into the den. I enjoyed this for a while but I made the mistake of sitting in the recliner. My consciousness lasted a while but then I went comatose. This did not offend the Spice; she just quit reading aloud and continued the book.

She woke me up about 3am when she finished the book and we finally went to bed. Went for a doc appointment the next morning and he surmised that I was doing OK. On the way home I noticed many crepe myrtles planted in the median and they were almost in full bloom – and they were a beautiful shade of red, my favorite color for that tree. It was a treat for the eyes and further on the route was a wild mimosa tree in full bloom – filled with those little pink flower puffs – another treat.

The Spice came in from her various appointments some time after I did and brought us something to consume. We partook thereof and after a while we went over to MIL’s house to visit with kinfolks that were visiting. MIL’s sister had come up from south Florida and a couple of their brothers took this occasion to come from over in South Carolina for a sibling get together.

We chatted and laughed about anything and everything for a while but I had to leave for my evening walk before it got too dark. After I walked the fastest two miles I had done all year, I went back to the house to clean up the guest bedroom and bath a bit because the Spice’s cousin and husband were to spend the night with us while visiting with the gathered kinfolk. The Spice came in a bit later and we got finished with the cleanup in plenty of time because they couldn’t leave until he got off work.

They came in to MIL’s and visited a while, then came over to our place and we talked for what seemed like a few minutes and suddenly it became 1am. We then crashed for the evening, resting in the love and protection of God. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I just recommended your blog to a new friend from North Carolina. Don't know if she'll get over here but she posted pics of blueberries so it seemed like a good fit.

Have a wonderful weekend.

7/07/2007 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I left them in time to get to our men’s cell group meeting ...

If I'm reading it right, it sounds as though your friend would be right at home in a cell meeting. :)

7/07/2007 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Viv said...

I agree that the red crepe myrtles are the prettiest color for this blooming tree. Our little town is full of them and it's a delight to pass them. A sure sign of summer in the South.

7/08/2007 09:09:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The friend you had not seen in such a long time I suspect certainly needs a few friends now.

Blessings on this Sunday!

7/08/2007 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Thanks, anybody that likes blueberries has got to have something going for them. :)

AC - Hadn't noticed how that sounded - does seem to fit doesn't it? :)

cabinwriter - I see them along almost every road in town - all colors too. My second favorite color is probably the lavender.

SSN - This is very true, hopefully I can be one to him. He was one of the teens that I was working with in another church years ago. Lost contact with him for many years and a mutual friend told me of his situation and I started writing to him a couple of years ago. ec

7/08/2007 11:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home