My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

walks

A close inspection of the largest of my fig trees is showing tiny figs just now appearing. The tree’s season has been set back because of the late freeze back in April. Hopefully these will grow and ripen – the amount of fruit will probably be a lot less than normal. The leaf pattern of the tree is a bit odd due to this same freeze, the ends of the limbs died and do not have any leaves – about the last two feet. It looks a bit like fig tree claws or fingernails.

I’m grateful to be getting a few blackberries along – a few because I only planted two of these. Plus the freeze cut their production to about half. Each planting has gradually grown more canes, I started with one and now there are four new canes growing in each spot for next year. In case you are not familiar with blackberries, the canes grow one year, the next year they fruit and then die. It is recommended to cut off the old canes at the ground as soon as they finish fruiting, this leaves more nutrients for the new canes plus it makes them look a little neater.

These blackberries are supported at present by tying them to a couple of metal rods but I need to put up a couple of pipes with some fence material between them so as to better tie the canes up for support. If they are not supported they tend to droop over and touch the ground, spoiling the growth pattern and getting dirt on the berries – true grit. The small handful I brought in last night definitely met with the approval of the Spice – giving an illustration of living from hand to mouth.

The evening rehab walks have been very regular of late, even achieving one every day for the last 10 days. Yesterday’s walk was two miles in a little under 32 minutes – while not coming close to my times of a year ago, it is very good for me at the present – even if a little tiring. On this last walk I noticed the goslings that hatched here this year and they are now adult sized, almost no difference between them and the parents. They still stay close to the older birds and this caused me to wonder if goose parents ever get the empty nest syndrome.

Compared to humans these young ones would probably be in their teenage years – or months in their case. Don’t know if they could be compared to humans in any other way though. They actually do what their parents want, react to correction very well, eat their veggies (they actually graze the grass around the pond) and never play loud music – at least I have never heard any. I don’t know if they can fly or not, they have flapped their wings some – maybe when they start flying is when they start hanging with the wrong crowd and stuff – hopefully not, I like to keep a decent pond.

We have a daily choice of enjoying our life and its events – or – worrying and fretting about what we don’t have or can’t do. I most always choose to enjoy what God has provided and be glad in it. If I am not enjoying life, it only lasts as long as it takes me to realize that I am not and then I turn things around by rejoicing in the joy of the Lord. It works for me and can for you – if you try it. ec

2 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ The blackberries would be my pick tonight- love them.
You are doing well with your walking
and the geese soon grow up don't
they? Take care, Regards, Merle.

6/20/2007 09:00:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Blackberry cobbler is one of my favorites, we just don't have enough of them yet. Of course they are very good right off the bush. :) ec

6/20/2007 10:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home