My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, June 18, 2007

filtered

There is an old saying – ‘Time flies whether you have fun or not.’ This old saying is qualified as such by the fact that it was stated by an old person – me. It seems like last week was just a blur in time, I know I did some things and got other things done but at such a fast pace that I hardly had time to think, much less write anything. This is unusual in itself because I usually take time to write, if something else goes undone – could there be a bit of weirdness in there somewhere. (smile)

But today was a new day and a new week in spite of the fact that I got up later than I should have and got outside later than was wise because it was already hot. The point of starting was the sparsely populated end of the cucumber bed. This end had been replanted in places and some of the plants were still small. The weeds and grasses were ripped from their places of encroachment to allow these young veggies free access to the nutrients of the soil.

The mature plants were to the point of producing so I started searching for cukes and lo and behold I found the first ones of the season! This time it was only 5 but still I was pickin’ and grinnin’. The okra in the next bed up is starting to bud with the blooms just a few days away – probably will have some produce in about a week. Checking out the squash bed, I found 4 full sized specimens of these yellow wonders of nature. They were all placed in bags and the plump carcasses of these trophies were brought inside to show off to the Spice.

The tomato plants are covered with green produce that is almost full size and ready to start ripening any day. The small snap bean bed is showing buds ready to bloom, so they will be a week or so longer. Situated next to that is the zinnia row and they are just starting to bloom – about 4 or 5 flowers so far. I only stayed out about an hour because of the heat, but looking back out at the squash bed, I can see one little pink flower showing its face in this sea of large green leaves. It was a zinnia that had somehow sprouted and was now fighting for its own place in the sun.

Later in the afternoon I gathered up the trash and took this to the dump. Then I headed in the direction of Lowe’s to purchase a filter for the water in the refrigerator door – the other one was flashing red. In route, one of the quirks of my nature surfaced again – this has to do with if more than one route is available to travel, I take the one that I haven’t gone in a while. Doing this was a trip down memory lane because this was part of the area in which I had worked in excess of 30 years.

The filter was acquired and my next errand was to Publix for some grocery items. This also showed another quirk of mine – I don’t mind going to the grocery at all – of course the bill is usually less if I am not hungry when I go. It did occur to me during my travels that it would have been better if I had chosen a different time of day to get out than in the middle of rush hour – being retired, it just didn’t enter my mind on this particular day.

Returning home, I found myself grateful for our country, the freedom to move around, a vehicle to drive, enough money to buy what we need and a home to come back to – God is good, all the time. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The ordinary minutia of life is hard to remember; it's the unique occurrences that stand out. And you can always read your own blog to figure out what you were doing when. :)

6/19/2007 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Good to hear that you are reaping some of the fruits of your labor. It is so good to pick things you have grown yourself. Won't be
long until the tomatoes ripen.
Thanks for your comments, glad you liked If You Never. Makes
us think a bit. Take care,
Regards, Merle.

6/19/2007 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't you ever stop thinking???
My mind just shuts down sometimes and I pick up a crossword puzzle, even those are too hard lately, so I am doing "fill-ins."
I sure hate to admit that!!!

Betty G

6/19/2007 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - So true, I have done that. I've also read back blogs to see if I am repeating something I have written about before. It is those occasional senior moments. :)

merle - Reaping is good, last night I sauteed a batch of fresh-picked squash and onions and enjoyed them much.

itsboopchile - I do enjoy thinking and then I enjoy writing about what I was thinking. Enjoyment is good. ec

6/19/2007 11:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home