My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

drivel

One of the definitions of mindless is showing, using, or requiring no intelligence or thought. And one of the definitions of drivel is childish, silly, or meaningless talk or thinking; nonsense; twaddle. Twaddle is defined as silly or tedious talk or writing. From all of this we get the phrase – mindless drivel, but I’m not sure that this is possible inasmuch as all words or phrases require a certain amount of intelligence or thought or meaning. In addition, a certain amount of intelligence would be required to determine whether or not something should be considered mindless or drivel.

Then would this secondary source of thought, that would judge whether or not something said or written is mindless drivel, be considered an enhancement to the original and add to its meaning or worth? Then if it is deemed drivel or mindless, how many sources would have to be consulted to be considered so? To add to the conundrum, are there different levels or stages of the drivel? Also could something still be identified as drivel without the mindless part being present? Is there such a thing as intelligent drivel or thoughtful mindlessness?

As thoughts and questions tumbled around in my mind like a pair of tennis shoes and a handful of coins clanking and bumping around in a clothes dryer, the question came to mind – why? This question has nothing to do with the drivel or even the tennis shoes or coins but something else entirely. It was the quizzical crowbar that was to be used to pry the lid off of the further question of whether or not this last question could stand-alone or needed more explanations. As why was poised to do a swan dive into a large puddle of drivel, I knew it was lonesome and added what to the why.

Why and what chatted for a while and seemed to get along fairly well but they were still puzzled so I introduced them to who. They got along famously but I could still see the little question marks rising so I found the twins, when and where, and introduced them into the equation. They still needed a few pieces of the puzzle but they emailed how and a couple of other questions and were able to solve the problem completely. I could have found out the answer they arrived at, but I didn’t want to pry into questionable solutions.

Much drivel remains but suffice it to say that through a bit of thought the meaningless can be de-drivelized and at least raised to the point of mundane and possibly higher. Questions will always be with us but many can only be answered as they arise because before the arising they are incomplete or totally unknown. An incomplete or future question can only have a hopeful or partial answer because almost all of us cannot see into the future enough to form the complete solution.

No matter how serious the question, it has been my experience that they can be completely answered by consulting the Creator of this world. Scripture tells me that all who accept Him have an advocate with this awesome One – His Son, Jesus. Then no matter how big or complicated, the problems can be solved and questions answered through His wisdom. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I don't have a question right now, but I sure have been worried about you. Glad you're ok!

6/13/2007 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Not too sure you ARE OK!! Thank you for the comments and I am glad you enjoyed "The Fire" story
Definitely not drivel. And as you say we should do our best to rescue all children anywhere, anytime. Just a kind word or a pat on the back helps
at times. I hope you are surviving the hot weather all right. Glad you got some needed rain/ Take care,
Regards, Merle.

6/14/2007 03:34:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm. If I remember correctly, Jesus more than once accused the Pharisees of speaking drivel.

6/14/2007 07:06:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still reading but I get blown away with your wit and wisdom. I enjoy it.
And sometimes learn from it.

Betty G

6/15/2007 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Now that you have me thoroughly confused -

Happy Father's Day. Hope all is well with you and yours.

6/16/2007 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

brenda - Thanks, I've just been very busy for the last two weeks.

merle - It doesn't take much to show the young ones that they are cared for - my 'grand' ones definitely know they are loved by this old codger.

SSN - He went so far as calling them hypocrites and a brood of vipers - He called them as they were.

itsboopchile - Sometimes I confuse myself but I have a good time doing it - sometimes I learn some things as well. :)

granny - Thanks - the day was good with my younger daughter over with her young ones. I felt much blessed. ec

6/17/2007 11:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home