My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

terraces

One definition of a terrace is a raised level with a vertical or sloping front or sides faced with masonry, turf, or the like, especially one of a series of levels rising one above another. My garden consists of 4 small terrace beds on a slope at the end of my driveway. Each bed is 4 to 5 feet wide and the drop from one bed to another varies from about 1 foot to almost 2 feet. This sloping bank between the terraces has a tendency to erode and wash down to the next bed.

Erosion was the problem and my shovel and I were the solutions. The task at hand was to replace the dirt back on the top of the bank from which it washed – this because a man should always correct his terrace dirt bank erosion problems, should he happen to have one of these. This could only be accomplished after all the grass and weeds were hoed out of the small path between the terraces.

Another problem I faced was that three of the tomato ‘baskets’ were blown over by the wind because I had not yet anchored them down. These were righted with a minimum of damage to the plants and anchored by 3 ft. metal rods with a bent hook on the end. By the time I was through, each of the plant containers were held down by two of these rods driven in the ground and hooked over the wire. Many tomatoes are growing, the largest being about 2 inches – I’m ready for fresh ripe tomatoes.

The whole garden is going through a growth spurt since the all day rain we had. The ‘cucumber/deer solution’ has been applied by placing two rows of concrete blocks on either side of the cucumber row. Then fence wire was laid across these blocks and other blocks were used to hold it down. This leaves about 8 inches for the plants to grow beneath but this should be sufficient because they grow along the ground. Since the deer haven’t returned as yet, I do not know if this solution will actually work.

The squash plants are near blooming and once they bloom, the squash are not far behind. The final thinning was applied to the okra plants and they are looking good, they love the hot weather. Since the cold and/or sinus infection has abated my walking schedule is back in full swing. Walked the whole way the other day in sprinkling rain – didn’t have any trouble keeping cool.

We are having our local family reunion this Saturday, June 9th, and I’m so much looking forward to it. It is to be held at my older brother’s place over in Georgia, about 20 miles away from us. A lot of two of my favorite things will be taking place – those would be eating and laughing. I’m so glad that God placed us in families – especially one like mine!! ec

7 Comments:

Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

I KNOW you will enjoy your family reunion coming up!

Junie

6/05/2007 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~Your garden seems to be thriving which is very rewarding
and the tomatos seem to be doing well
I hope you and your families have a great time at the get-together.
Thank you for your comments, I have a
clothes dryer too, but prefer, line dried clothes, that I finish off in the dryer or inside with heater on.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

6/06/2007 04:20:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm watching the tomatoes closely and can't wait for that first taste of a fresh one.

Enjoy your family reunion!

6/06/2007 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now here is some gardening we have in common, Mr. Eddie. When I grew roses in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, some 25 or so years ago, I created a terraced rose garden. If I ever have the opportunity, I shall create another. Until then, I shall continue to garden vicariously with you.

6/07/2007 08:25:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Have a wonderful time with your family!!

6/08/2007 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Hope your party was fun yesterday! We had quite an impromptu family gathering last evening which was lovely! I haven't ever had a garden before, but one whole side of my house is all herbs and vegetables. I'm so excited, though I believe if I wanted squash quicker, I should come to the warmer climes! :-)

6/10/2007 07:54:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

junierose - It was a hoot! Been so busy that I haven't had time to blog or comment - better now.

merle - The garden has received a couple of key rains and is doing great. Produce is on the verge of being ripe.

brenda - Seems like the first tomatoes take forever! Had some squash and onions yesterday - the squash were way too small but I just couldn't wait.

SSN - Due to the slope where the garden does best, the terraces are a necessary thing but the beds do produce well in the veggie department. I've never tried to grow roses - except for my one rugosa rose (for rose hips).

granny - The reunion was great, seeing several that had not been for a while. It is a bit mind boggling to realize that all of these result from a couple of common ancestors.

jayleigh - These family gatherings have always been something that I look forward to every year - it was a good thing. I got my garden in so late that I am just now starting to get squash - but everything is just on the verge of filling the kitchen counters up with produce. ec

6/13/2007 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home