My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, June 21, 2007

yucca

Several thoughts came to me during my evening walk. First, as I began the walk, the thought came to me that it was sprinkling rain, but it takes a lot more than a little rain to dampen my spirits. The light rain continued for better than half of this walking event. Next was the thought about why do folks call it ‘taking’ a walk, as though they were absconding with something not theirs? Would it not be better to say that they were participating in a walk or into walk involvement?

Then I considered – what was walking – as opposed to really walking or serious walking? To walk is to proceed by advancing the feet alternately so that there is always one foot on the ground in bipedal locomotion. By that definition I was definitely walking but any further definition would have to speak of the distance traveled and the lapsed time in which it was traversed. In my case today, the distance covered was two miles and the lapsed time was 33 minutes and 14 seconds. Not as good as yesterday, but then I was at a more relaxed pace today and also wasn’t as tired when I got through.

Other attention getters were the geese on the pond. The family unit of 2 parents and 5 ex-goslings were still together. As mentioned in another writing, these young ones are adult sized and I noticed that two other adult geese have joined the group. These two stay at a respectful distance of 6 to 8 feet – so as to not irritate the parents, I’m guessing – maybe they are grandparent geese.

Then I thought about the staff that I take along on the walks. It is about 5 feet long, made of hazel nut wood – a branch from the last pruning – and is somewhat bent and gnarled. I wondered that if I were attacked by a flock of vicious songbirds or attack geese, would it be strong enough to hold up under the pressure of fighting off the offensive birds? The more abundant trees for staff material are the sweet gums or the Carolina cherries but I don’t consider them sturdy enough for the task. It might be good to get one of oak or hickory, but it is hard to get a branch of one of these that is straight enough.

Another thought concerned the yucca grove at the corner of the pond. Or would that be yucca patch, I’m reasonably sure it is not a yucca herd and it is not big enough to be a yucca forest, but it is a big bunch of yucca plants. I’m not sure whether the plant is good for anything but ornamental landscaping or decoration but I do know two things about it. First, they are beautiful when blooming, which they have just done and second, if one has to work around them, they are a vicious plant.

Back when I was working for BellSouth, now AT&T, it seemed to me that landscapers loved to install these wounding plants next to telephone pedestals. If I was careful, I would only get stuck a couple of times, if I was not, the points drew blood and felt like they went to the bone. It didn’t matter to them whether you were good, bad or indifferent, you still got stuck. Stuff happens to us all, it is our reaction to it and attitude toward it that determines whether or not we survive in a sane and happy condition.

Even though they are not of a particular use to me, I am grateful to God for making yucca plants and I will enjoy the parts of them that I can. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger thebeloved said...

Survival of the sane... Flexibility is the key to so much of the to and fro of life.

6/22/2007 01:09:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What about “doing a walk?”

Thanks for mentioning the geese and goslings. It has been several years since I lived by the stream where geese families were a regularly part of my Spring. I must take the short drive and a meandering walk to the local park where those wonderful fowl still congregate. And I must leave my walking stick (cane) at home and take my five-foot staff with me.

Mr. E., you have again inspired me.

6/22/2007 03:24:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ We are inclined to say "go for a walk" rather than take a walk. We tend to say the latter if we want someone to go. Or take a hike. Thanks for your comments and well wishes for
my cold. It won't last too long I hope. The Yucca flowers are really beautiful.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

6/22/2007 07:35:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One daughter has a yucca plant, (now two), and it blooms every year. It is soooo beautiful, I would love to have one that blooms.
One time in the hospital the kids in Texas sent me a yucca and it was the talk of the hospital!!!
The problem, it never bloomed for me. Of course I kept it in the house or on the porch. This is Wisconsin you know.

Post a picture of some of your beauties (flowers) !!

Betty G

6/22/2007 03:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

"Stuff happens to us all, it is our reaction to it and attitude toward it that determines whether or not we survive in a sane and happy condition."

Words to live by :)

6/22/2007 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

thebeloved - So true, it is the bending and not breaking - plus having the strength of the Lord to help us stand back up.

SSN - This goose family seems to have taken up residence in our pond or the neighbor's - he has a feeding station for them. They rotate between the two ponds, I think the grazing is better around the one here. :)

merle - I'm walking almost every day and the oddest thoughts stomp through my mind - about most anything. The walking thing was one of them - I have been told (many years ago) in so many words to take a hike.

itsboopchile - The yucca at the pond started out as one or two sprouts and now it is a large group of plants - I would hate to trip and fall into that - ouch!

kila - Long ago I read in scripture that people were not really our enemy - but they are sometimes used as pawns or tools by the real enemy of our soul to create some of our misery. ec

6/25/2007 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

We all need a little silly from time to time.

I would have eaten that tomato right out of the garden.

6/26/2007 12:38:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - I have to have my daily silly supply. Rest assured, the tomato did not last long. We have picked some more since then. ec

6/26/2007 06:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home