My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

ritzy

Continuing at the Ritz-Carlton. We just relaxed and tried to get used to the opulence of the room – at least it was that to us. Our room was on the fourth floor, with five floors in all, but the front ground level was the third floor, indicating how much of a slope the “Lodge” was built into. The building didn’t look that big from the front, but it was huge from the back. There were several restaurants on the property and we had made reservations at the one on the first level of the main building – Georgia’s.

Our reservations were for six o’clock, earlier than most folks since many of them golf on the adjoining course, but just right for us because I wanted to walk around the grounds while it was still light after the meal. We readied ourselves and went down at the appointed time and were seated. For a short time we were the only customers, but another couple showed up a few minutes later and before we were through there were several tables filled.

The meal started with a small tidbit with a French name that I understood to mean something to amuse the taste buds. It didn’t amuse them very much, being only about a teaspoon of whatever it was – it was tasty, I think. The Spice had filet mignon and being the more adventurous one I had breast of roast duck, a first for me, if memory serves. The entrees were very good and we should have stopped there, but since we would probably only do this once we did order dessert.

The Spice got bananas Foster with marshmallow ice cream and I got banana-coconut pie with mango sorbet. They were OK, but for the price, I’d have soon had a shake from Chic-fil-a. We paid the meal tab that was about what we usually would pay for an upscale motel room and went to wander the sidewalks of the spacious grounds. We strolled a while, then meandered some, then did a bit of sauntering, some ambling and even a short stretch of perambulation.

The grounds were very well kept with many varieties of trees, shrubs and flowers. I did notice a brown thrush fly near us and thought it unusual because they are normally very shy. Just down the sidewalk I found out why when we espied a young thrush in the shrubbery – the parent bird was concerned for the safety of this young one. The sun was in the process of going down but it was still light enough to take in the scenery.

As we walked down toward the lake, the sidewalk bordered a rushing, gurgling brook all the way down the hill. It was impressive but I noticed when we got down to the lake that the brook didn’t flow into the larger body of water. Further inspection revealed that it was an artificial stream, pumped up the hill by equipment at the bottom – kind of spoiled it for me.

After we checked out the lake for a while, we went back up the hill to the back of the lodge where nightly smores are made. It seems that every night an employee is assigned to build a fire in a large circular fire pit and then furnish the guests with the materials to make smores. The Spice got a stick with a couple of marshmallows on it and I picked up the crackers and chocolate. We went to the fire, melted the marshmallows and I pulled them off the stick with the crackers and chocolate and we had a smore. I did taste her girl/boy scout traditional treat but that was all since I was somewhat overfull.

They also had tea and lemonade, so we each got a cup and sat at a nearby table and did a bit of people watching. We were both in a bit of amazement as to how this many people had the amount of money required to stay in a place like this. But my amazement is always greater as to why Jesus loved me enough to die in my stead and then forgive me of all the wrong I had ever done. TBC ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

One of the first posts that I ever wrote was partly about a very expensive meal. While I might do it again -- someday -- don't count on it. It's tough on my conscience.

7/04/2007 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I've been a dinner guest at the American Embassy in London, and I've had dinner on the tailgate of a pick-up truck in the middle of a cotton field. I felt many more blessings in that field than I did at that fancy dinner. It's nice to see how the other half lives though, just to see that our blessings can't be bought.

7/04/2007 09:10:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr.Eddie~~ I didn't know what smores were until you explained. Thank you. It is interesting (and expensive) to see how th rich folks live. I doubt they are happier than we are. Nice to try it just once,
quite an experience.
Thanks for your comments,I like Mark Twain too, always like his quotes.
Glad you had a good 4th July.
Take care, regards, Merle.

7/05/2007 04:41:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - I know what you mean - it's pretty rough on the wallet as well - probably should have taken mine to the ER. :)

brenda - So true, so many miss the fact that relationships are the most important things, not the big bucks and what they can buy.

merle - For some reason I got the feeling that the Spice and I were the two happiest people there - in spite of the fact that we felt a bit out of place. ec

7/05/2007 03:40:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Goll dern! Now I gotta go back and read the post before “ritzy” before I go forward and again read “mo ritzy” again. (This always happens when I get behind in reading favorite blogs).

7/06/2007 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - I have had days when the further I go, the behinder I get. :) ec

7/22/2007 01:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home