My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, July 16, 2007

HHI - 1

We arrived back from our Hilton Head Island adventure Sunday afternoon and I want to tell you all about it. Since usually the best place to start is back at the beginning – that is what I will do.

The older daughter (OD) and her crew, FSIL, GM2 and GM5, flew into Savannah, Georgia, rented a vehicle and motored up to Hilton Head Island. They spent several days there and wanted us to join them for a few days, Thursday past (July 12th) was the day of joining them. That morning began at a quicker pace than usual because of the many things to do before we left the home front for the island.

After going through my usual physical and spiritual day opener, I had to leave for the Doc’s office to have the stitches taken out from the surgery that removed the bad thingy the week before. The Doc wasn’t there but the nurse ripped out the suture material in no time flat – my appointment was at 8:30 and I was walking back out of the office at 8:38 – what a concept!

Back home, many tasks were to be completed before our departure. The day before was to be my garden-picking day but a humdinger of a storm came through and although the rain was very welcome, it pushed my picking chore up into the leaving day. Not only did the picking need to be done, something had to be done with the veggies and I didn’t have time to freeze them.

As it happened, we had a couple of workmen placing ceramic tile in the quest bathroom and they were only too glad to share our bounty. We took some tomatoes and cucumbers with us for consumption on our days away from home. I finally called a halt to the picking, even though more cukes were hiding on their row, because the time was getting away. We finally got our “ducks in a row”, got the packing done, loaded up and headed to the island, leaving the workmen to finish up.

As it turned out it was about 150 miles from home to the condo and it was along a path that offered no interstate highways – mostly two-lane country roads. Since I have been to Hilton Head only a few times, I did a couple of miscues on the way to the guest check-in for our parking pass and map to the condo. All the signs, street and otherwise are low to the ground – so as not to detract from the natural greenery – but we finally found the condo a little later.

Then was the happy reunion because we had not seen these “Texans” in several months. After a while we went out for supper and the first place offered a waiting time of 85 to 95 minutes. We went to another place that told us less time but as it turned out the wait was about the same as the other place had told us. At the point of exhaustion, we finally got seated at this Japanese steakhouse and after waiting a good bit more, our cook came out to entertain and feed us. It was standard fare but by this time we were all so hungry that most anything edible would have been accepted.

We ended our day grateful to God that the family had this time together. ec


Blogger Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

What a filled and wonderful day!

7/18/2007 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - It was indeed filled to the brim and also some sort of wonderful. ec

7/18/2007 11:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home