My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

ketchup - 3

Saturday morning came into being pretty much as expected, with the sun coming up and everything getting light and such. It offered an opportunity for me to do a bit of outside work that I had been putting off for a while. It was to be a hot day but my earlier start did help a bit, until it really got serious about the hot part. I did get some garden work done that was in the direct sun and then I started work on making a sort of fence to which I could tie up the canes of the blackberries.

These plants were located at the side of the house and in partial shade for most of the day. I added 3 more metal rods to the 2 already there, cut a section of fence wire in half and wired it to the rods. Then I pruned out the old fruiting canes, tied the new growth canes to the half-fence and pruned these to 5-6 feet to encourage more lateral growth and promote the growth of more berries next year. At the very least, it looks a lot neater, plus I finished before the shade disappeared altogether.

Then came late thirty in the afternoon and it had been arranged that the ladies were to have a girl’s night out, meeting for dinner and a movie. My job was to watch over the 6 gruntmonkeys so we ordered pizza for the crowd and it arrived just before the ‘girls’ left. The ‘girls’ were, the Spice, OD, YD, across the street SIL and her two daughters, my nieces. The babysitting job was not as nerve wracking as it might sound, seeing that I had the two older girls to help out – it was a bit loud though.

We got the four younger ones down for the night at the prescribed times and with a minimum of emotional trauma. The two older ones just hang out until they exhaust themselves. The ladies reentered the scene later that night and seemed to have enjoyed themselves very much. YD stayed over for the night and the ladies and girls played a girlie board game for a while. The old man of the group showered and crashed for the night.

Sunday morning arrived and the day was to be one of hustle and bustle – getting all the stuff packed to enable OD and group to head back to Texas in the early afternoon. We loaded up the van with the luggage and people – the Spice and I, GM1, OD and her two young ones – and headed out to the Columbia, SC airport. We were to meet FSIL there and we contacted him in route and he was on track to be there by the time we arrived. It was just a little over an hour of travel time and as we pulled up, FSIL was waiting for us. We got the luggage out and I went to park the van.
We stayed with them during the check-in of the luggage and a short while longer. Then they had to get in the security, search and board line and we said our sad goodbyes and departed back to our home place. It seems that our lives are filled with these departures and goodbyes – I look forward to a day that these things will no longer be necessary and according to the promises in the scripture, we will be together forever in new bodies, unhampered by the limitations of these worn-out houses of clay in which we now dwell. God is good, now and forevermore. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

We have five young blue berry bushes. We just let them grow as God would have them. We picked enough for many cobblers this summer. So far we do not have problems with the birds getting them. My cousin in Wilmington says she has to put nets over her bushes.

We did have plum trees but a couple of hurricanes took care of them. But even before that, the squirrels got their fair share.

Our grapes disappear quickly too. My husband said birds, but I kinda' think all the guys that hang around the shop in the back yard are eating...LOL

7/24/2007 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - We have about 50 bushes - all but about 15 are young, but a freaky late freeze did in the whole crop. The birds get their share but I usually have plenty for them and us too, until this year. ec

7/24/2007 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

6 gruntmonkeys at once! You are courageous: I will not watch 4 at once without a security guard.

My personal philosophy is that the purpose of this life is to prepare us for the next.

7/25/2007 01:13:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Wow, six to watch at once. Glad the older girls could help a bit. It is sad to say goodbye, but it is easier to stay in touch these days with e mail etc. You can probably do with a break for awhile. Thanks for your comments, Bec's cell phone took photos too and she texts.
The next generation are more clever than ours, as far as all this
technology. Meanwhile we do OK with our computers, so all is not lost!! My casserole turned great, and tonight I have pea and Ham soup cooking. I think I have heard the term "Spanish Moss". It is meant to be green, but the man's beard is not. Take care, Regards, merle.

7/25/2007 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Wow, six at once, you are brave. ;) How fun for the ladies to have a night out.

Good luck with the berries. I can picture them!

No more good-byes will be nice!

7/25/2007 08:09:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I only had 5 of the grands last night and I'm mostly exhausted today.

7/25/2007 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - The babysitting was indeed an adventure as well as a real hoot! The definition of hoot here is the slang one - 'an extremely funny person, situation, or event' - and it was funny in a loud sort of way.

merle - It was wonderful to have them, but it is quieter now. :) Even though it is hot here, your pea and ham soup sound mighty good.

kila - They really seemed to enjoy the night out and getting together when they can - two of them live away. When they came home, all the 'lively' ones were in bed asleep.

brenda - I know the feeling but they are so much fun - mostly. :) ec

7/25/2007 11:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home