My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, July 23, 2007

ketchup - 2

Thursday arrived and FSIL left for his annual golf outing with his older bro and their compadres – this lasts until Sunday and he will meet us at the Columbia, SC airport for their return flight home. The Spice took MIL to the doc for some things going on of unknown origin and they sent her to the ER from there. We were concerned that they were going to keep her at the hospital but things settled down and she got to come back home.

If I have not mentioned it before, we will have a gruntmonkey in high school this year and she is to be in their marching band! YD had to go to a meeting at the school about GM1 being in the band so we watched the young ones for her to do so. GM 1 and GM3 stayed with us for the night, YD came and too the two young ones home after her meeting. These older ones mostly keep themselves occupied with a minimum of overseeing.

Later in the evening, the three grunts decided that they would have a spa center available for the in-house adults. They printed up signs for what was available and it so happened that when I went downstairs to check on them and became their first “victim”. They were offering hair makeovers and massages – of course a lack of hair left me out of that part, so I settled for a massage. I lay across a bed and ‘Eduardo’ (GM3) gave my back a good going over. The hair makeovers made a much more dramatic outward appearance on the Spice and OD but it was enjoyable for all involved.

Friday came along and the ladies, young and old, decided they were going shopping and I would stay with GM5. They took GM3 home on the way to their spending destinations. We had already determined that we would have a bonfire/wiener roast that night and in the late afternoon YD showed up with her crowd and enabled me to fire off the pile of branches and wood. It flamed really high and was awesome to the little ones. Niece and nephew showed up with their three little ones before the shoppers finally got back.

The fire had to burn down a bit before we could start the roasting and the kids were ravenous by the time we finally got our first wieners sufficiently burned. We used my new device to roast them – a two pronged fork made from coat hanger wire mounted on the end of a stick. It was a prototype and I saw the need for improvement right away when the end of the stick started smoking – the wire part needed to be a little longer. Our first ‘burnt offering’ was taken inside to quieten down the young ones. We then continued to roast until we had enough for the older folks as well.

The crowd included the Spice and I, OD and crew, YD and crew, Niece, Nephew, their twin baby daughters and their son. The twins were a bit young to enjoy the hot dogs and we didn’t come up with a way to roast their bottles, so they had to settle for their milk the regular old way. In the midst of all this, BIL, SIL and their other daughter came from across the street to see the gruntmonkeys – not realizing that their own ‘grands’ were present as well – pleasant surprise for them.

Gradually the visitors receded back to their own places of abode, leaving the Spice and I, OD, GM1, GM2 and GM 5 to crash for the night. Families and particularly the little ones are a blessing from the Lord – even if they are noisy – and I am thankful for His blessings. ec


Blogger Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

Come by my blog, Mr Eddie, I am blessing you with a Schmoozer Award.

7/24/2007 02:21:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Our little ones leave me with a blessing so devine that I sleep like an angel after a day with them! :-)

7/24/2007 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger itsboopchile said...

Oh, you are such a good grammpa!!
And I am surprised you couldn't roast the bottles!!!
Betty G

7/24/2007 01:49:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - Hey thanks! I'll try to get by there in a short while.

brenda - Sounds like the same way I am - except I call it exhaustion, along with the blessing, of course. :)

itsboopchile - Couldn't think of a way to roast the bottles, with the plastic and all. But they did get the most attention of all there, don't think either of the twins got put down all night. :) ec

7/24/2007 09:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home