My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, July 26, 2007

WT

Walking Thoughts – As I began my walk tonight I thought about the question – what was I going to think about during this walk? I was unable to come up with any preconceived plan since thinking is a spur of the moment thing and one usually doesn’t know what they are going to think about until they have thought about it. So I decided I would just record it as it came and write it down the same way.

As I walked across the dam of the pond, I thought about how low the pond was and how several stumps are showing above the water now and one small island has re-appeared. We really need a long soaking rain to even get halfway back to normal.

Another thought was concerning the chirring melody coming from the trees off to my right – this from the many cicadas giving forth their “joyful noise” of the summer. Last night my walk was a little later and the cicadas had quit and the crickets had picked up where they left off.

Why in the world do these geese have to poop on this driveway where I walk? It seems that they should know by nature that fertilizing this asphalt driveway is not going to cause anything to grow. They must have been tired of fertilizing the lawn. They wander all over the area even a fair distance away from the pond. I have seen them in my yard, as well as my neighbor’s, just grazing on the grass and/or the grass seed. It’s like the places belonged to them – and then maybe it does.

On MIL’s side of the pond there is a rather distinctive looking tree down by the water that BIL planted several years ago and it has grown quite large for the amount of time it has been there. It is a eucalyptus – quite aromatic and can be smelled some distance away – it smells like cough drops.

The main part of the pond dam parallels the area’s highway that is a couple hundred yards away. The highway can’t be seen this time of the year because of the dense foliage but the vehicle noises can be heard quite well. In winter, when the leaves have dropped, you can glimpse autos and such as they move along this major traffic artery.

At the turn around point of my measured walk, I glanced up ahead and saw several goose necks; this was all I could see because their bodies were hidden down in a swale. They were checking me out to be sure – they don’t like anything or anybody to get very close to them.

The grass along the edges of the driveway is always trying to encroach out on the asphalt, with a few spots more successful than others. One spot out on the dam has a crack in this paving medium and a large tuft of centipede grass is growing right in the middle of the drive. Left alone and with enough years, I’m sure the grass and/or weeds would conquer the pavement.

The tenacity of God’s created natural growths is just another of the many things that amaze me about our world. God does all things well. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

Thanks for taking us along on your walk!

I don't think I've ever smelled a eucalyptus tree.

7/27/2007 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

kila - It was a good one. The tree smells like the original Hall's cough drops. ec

7/27/2007 12:31:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Nice to be able to think while you walk.I was surprised about the eucalyptus tree as I think
they are native to Australia. My
mother used to send us kids out to gather the tips of gum trees, sucha
refreshing smell in the house. Your
vegetables sound wonderful. I have never tried Okra, so I must if I see it. I like Roma tomatoes best too.
Take care, Best Wishes, Merle.

7/27/2007 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/27/2007 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

I enjoyed walking along in your mind as you took your walk. GOD does do everything well. One of our former church members (also a former missionary to Scotland, now with the LORD) had a favorite come back when someone said "GOD is Good!" he would answer "HE's better than that!"

7/27/2007 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

You have such a beautiful way with words!

7/29/2007 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - They are native to Australia and I'm not sure where he got the tree. I cut up some Roma tomatoes, some cucumbers and an onion in some apple cidar vinegar and sugar a couple of days ago, let it soak a while and I have eaten about half of the large bowlful already - yummy!

ancient one - The Lord and I have had some good discussions on these evening walks - He has straightened me out on several things. :)

brenda - Thanks much - I do enjoy words and meanings - and have learned a lot in the last few years. ec

7/29/2007 11:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home