My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, July 29, 2007

WT-2

Walking Thoughts continued – The driveway on which I do my evening walks passes along side the bedroom end of our house. From this view I can see the 3 small hazelnut trees, the 4 fig bush/trees and the blueberry patch that was transplanted to this end of the house a few years back. Just seeing them reminds how bad they need to be cleaned around and the straw replenished. It is tough to get to that chore during the gardening season plus it is just too hot to be out and about very much.

The four figs are also recent transplants – they have been there two seasons now – and being young they were hit very hard during our freak freeze back about Easter. All above ground growth on them was killed but they have now grown back from the roots and are up to a little over two feet tall. Hopefully we won’t get another weird cold snap like that for many years.

I will have to commend BIL on keeping the grass mowed on MIL’s place – better than mine – plus it is a much larger area than I have. The Spice has two brothers and one of these is not married and lives with MIL and keeps up the place quite well. This is a good thing since it saves the Spice and I much labor in that respect. The other BIL lives across the street from us and this is the one that calls on me from time to time to help out with the phone wires and such for the company where he works.

Since the time I walk is almost exclusively at sundown, I have got to view many of these daily events. They are all beautiful but the stunning ones usually have to do with whether or not there are certain cloud formations on the horizon. Today there were no clouds, so if any sunset would be considered a regular one, today would be one of those – still amazing though.

As previously mentioned, it has been very dry around here and at one spot on my side of the pond there is a small peninsula. As the water recedes however, this piece of land slowly gets much longer. There is a large stump about 50 feet from the shore and if the dry spell continues the land will extend all the way out to the stump – it has happened a couple of times before. This stump and others were left for the fish to have some hiding places and it is now a decayed shell of its former self.

After the pond was built and while the water was slowly rising, BIL and I built a dock on either side of the pond. The one on MIL’s side is much more used and in better repair than the one on our side, which is getting a bit rickety. The section of land on this side of the pond just came into our ownership this year and it added an acre to the acre we already had, making our ‘Blueberry Hill’ a two-acre “estate”. Don’t remember if I have mentioned this before in my writings.

My walking pace tonight was at a fair clip but a couple of nights ago I pulled out all the stops and achieved the best time I have walked all year – just a little under 29 minutes for the two miles. While not comparable to times before my health ‘problems’, it was a very good time in my still recovering condition.

The light was starting to fade fast as I finished up the walk and as I came by the oak tree before the finish line, a squirrel was fussing at me as I went by – no idea why because I wasn’t that close to the tree. It could have even been two squirrels fussing at each other about whatever squirrels fuss at each other about – probably some nutty something or other.

Such were my unplanned walking thoughts and through it all, God is still good, all the time. ec

3 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~Well done on your
time walking 2 miles. It does give you an opportunity to think while you walk and converse with the Lord.
I hope you do not have too much pain any more. Take care, Regards, Merle.

7/30/2007 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I love your walking thoughts and the view is great!

7/31/2007 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - it is indeed an excellent time to converse with God - and myself. I have my days but the pain has much subsided, thanks.

brenda - Thanks - it is comical when I am talking to my recorder as I walk - at times I laugh out loud at what my mind came up with - you had to be there. :) :) ec

7/31/2007 09:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home