My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Friday, August 10, 2007

Sunday games

Sunday, August 5th, came without me knowing whether it arrived on time or not, since I wasn’t awake at first. I cranked up my day in the usual ways; cleaned up as best I could with what I had to do with, gathered some game equipment and headed out the door for church. Some of the teachers were out because of being chaperones for a youth weekend event elsewhere, so several classes were combined and we had a fun games morning planned for all in attendance.

There are not many things that I enjoy more than seeing ‘younguns’ have a good time – and it’s made even better when I’m the cause of that enjoyment. Our class started with a short devotion and then the games began. About 30 or so were present between the ages of around 4 to about 10 and we divided them into two teams to have a little competition. The object of our first game was to bounce ping-pong balls into any of several small plastic margarine tubs (empty ones) set up on desks. Different tubs gave different amounts of points for landing in them. The teams rotated, sending one player at a time and their scores were tallied on the marker board.

When the game was over, only one score separated the two teams, with the eagles coming out on top. Three ladies were helping me out and that sped things along quite well. The next game placed the two teams in two long rows beside each other with each player having a plastic margarine tub (all empty). A pile of orange spray paint can lids – equal amounts – were placed at one end of each line and a plastic clothes hamper at the other. The object was to get all the lids from the pile to the hamper at the other end of the line. This was done by passing the lids from one tub to the other, down the line, one at a time until all were in the hamper.

The dragon’s team won the first round. We ran this game one more time because they enjoyed it so much and this time the eagles won by one lid. Our third and final game was to build a tower out of plastic Gatorade bottles and plywood squares. This was done by placing four bottles on a desk, putting the plywood on top of them, then four more bottles on that, another square and so forth until all are used up. We picked five from each team to compete and see which group could build the tower in the least amount of time and the rest of the team would be cheerleaders.

In an exciting flurry of action the dragon’s team finished their tower, standing on tiptoes in chairs, in one minute and 36 seconds. I then backed everyone away so it wouldn’t fall on them and pulled out one of the bottom bottles – it didn’t fall. I was hoping this would happen to build the suspense but didn’t expect it. Then I pulled out another and the tower fell to squeals of delight.

Then it was the eagle’s turn and they must have been watching for quicker ways to do things because they finished the tower in 50 seconds! I backed them away again and pulled out one of the bottom bottles and wouldn’t you know that it didn’t fall again – it swayed but stayed up. Then I pulled another one out and it fell, with the young ones going nutso again. They then scurried around in great delight helping to gather up the bottles and such for me.

The class was over and they lined up and left smiling at the fun they had at church – I have smiled much myself every time I think about it. I will admit that it was hard to tell who was having the most fun – the kids or me. God is good and doesn’t mind at all for kids to have fun in church – I’m glad. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Those children will be remembering that class for a long time. You are probably one of their favorite teachers.~ann

8/11/2007 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, Mr. E., I miss the days when I did what you did! For years I chaired our conference's "Youthful Ministries" division and was always involved with young people. Then I came to Louisville and at the church I pastored the youngest person was in her early 60s. (I wonder if that's why a felt burned out after 6 years?)

8/12/2007 05:48:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Great concept -- fun in Sunday School.

8/12/2007 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - I am semi-retired from teaching Sunday School - I was just filling in. They did seem to enjoy the games though.

SSN - I have always enjoyed working with the young ones, from toddlers to teens - they keep you on your toes, but are a lot of fun.

AC - A great concept indeed, plus it makes them want to come back - and bring their parents. :) ec

8/12/2007 11:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home