My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, August 13, 2007

highlights 2

Then it became Wednesday morning, August 8th, and GM3 had stayed the night with us – this was his last chance before K-5 started. The morning was a slow starter on my part and GM3 watched some videos. The Spice departed for an appointment and it was just us guys hanging out. I gathered the trash to take to the dump, I figured GM3 would like that and it turned out to be much to his liking.

He had not had lunch, so after taking the trash, I asked him where he wanted to go and it was a toss-up between McDonald’s and Burger King. BK finally won out so we went there and got a kid’s meal, mostly for the toy inside – I eat very little fast food myself – tasteless to me. YD called while we were there and needed some milk and OJ – after the meal we dropped by Publix for those items. GM3 headed straight for the cart that looks somewhat like a racecar. We then “raced” around the store for our purchases – the young one enjoyed every moment of this.

The main event for Thursday, August 9th, was when YD brought the boys over for their naptime so she could register GM1 for school. They finally went down after a bit of coaxing and quiet ruled the day for a while. Then one at a time the two younger got up and joined me at my computer. They enjoy watching the funny videos folks have sent me. The day was a good one with gruntmonkeys woven through the fabric of its events. YD later took GM3 for registration and orientation of K5.

Friday, August 10th, dawned as most days usually do and it started a bit earlier than usual for the Spice inasmuch as she was taking MIL on some appointments. My chore for the day was to go to Johnston, SC to get some peaches. The Spice departed and a while later I started out on the 40 minute trip to the peach packing ‘shed’ to retrieve some of the delightfully tasty fruit.

In times past we have gathered quantities of bruised or marred fruit from the leftover sluice but today I just didn’t feel up to all that, so I bought 3 half-bushel boxes already packed. The whole trip took about an hour and a half and the results were great. My younger brother called and he was in town for a visit to the VA hospital in Augusta – he is a Vietnam vet. He came by after his doc visit and took me to lunch over at the barbecue place just a few miles down the road.

Lunch was good but the chatting was better – catching each other up on our latest stuff. I don’t see my siblings nearly enough, they are scattered all over the south. When we got back home, I sent him off with a bag of tomatoes from my garden and he bought one of the boxes of peaches from my trip.

The biggie of the day on Saturday, August 11th, happened in the afternoon and it was the cleaning out and reattaching of the rain gutters on the front of the house. They had come loose in a couple of places and the shingle residue had collected in the low spots. With a hand spade and bucket I cleaned the most of this out. Then it was reattached and the final cleaning was done with water from the hose – I was proud of the results, even if I did wear myself almost totally out.

Sometimes it seems that the older I get, the faster time goes – nonetheless God is still good, all the time. ec

4 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr Eddie ~~ I have just caught up
with your latest doings. You keep busy with grandchildren and fruit and repairs etc. Thanks for your comments. I heard from my grand-daughter tonight who said her brother Joh like the army, so that is just great. Take care, Cheers, Merle.

8/14/2007 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I've been catching up too Mr. Eddie. I've been lazy here with all this horrid heat smothering us day after day. Even moving to change channels on the tv seems to be a chore.

Hope your week is a grand one!

8/14/2007 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Peaches! Yum! Didn't have any in my neighborhood this year...I think the cold around Easter got most of the ones around here. So ours came from the grocery store this year.~ann

8/15/2007 05:13:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - Many do like the army, even long term. It was something that had to be done at the time I went in. I was glad to get it behind me - 1959 until 1962 - things are probably different now.

brenda - We have been suffering with that heat down here as well - it will likely take a hurricane to push that high pressure out of the way so we can get some rain.

ancient one - Many of the peach crops around here were damaged but still available. We just finished off our first box and they were good but not quite as large as some from the past. ec

8/15/2007 11:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home