My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, September 10, 2007

clinging

Here it is the 10th of September and the heat still clings to our area like a 5-year-old clings to its Mom on the first day of kindergarten. Or like the contents of an uncovered bowl of peas clings to the inside of the microwave after too much time has been put on them. Or like concerns, trepidations or even fears cling to the minds of the parents of a beautiful and nubile young lady out on her first date with a young man of unknown character that is certainly not good enough or deserving of their daughter.

Continuing to taunt us, the oppressive heat clings to us all like a baby gorilla clings desperately to its mother when its older siblings try to rip its arms off. Or like the IRS clings to the hapless taxpayer when they are caught with unauthorized deductions. Or like an application of one-coat latex enamel clings to a section of quarter inch, soft-pine plywood that has been nailed over a doggy door to keep the possums out of the kitchen.

The heat continues to cling like the foul stench of a skunk clings to anyone or anything that dares to get close enough to be sprayed by said animal. Or like a mother clings to her newborn baby whether it is ugly or not. Or like the late season grass and weeds cling to the good soil of my garden now that most of the veggies have cashed in their chips, done their do and just quit producing. OK, enough with the clinging, maybe it would just be enough to say it is still hot here and I wish it was not.

Among all the metaphors I shall mix in a truism or so. There are those in this world that do not eat breakfast but this is an omission that I neither believe in nor practice. This breaking of the fast is just going to happen for me, even though it might be at varying times of the morning or possibly even at the crack of noon. The sustenance consumed can also be rather varied. From the occasional old-fashioned southern breakfast of grits surrounded by animal products and by-products, all the way down to an emergency backup plan of just toast and jam.

One of my long-standing mainstays of the morning has been dry cereal. Of course I do not eat it dry but wet it down with some sort of liquid. After finding out years ago that milk and I do not agree with each other, I spent many years using some sort of fruit juice as a moistening agent. For the last several years now I have used Silk, a milk substitute made from soybeans and it seems to please my taste buds very well. The vanilla was my favorite flavor for a while but I have gone back to the plain.

Occasionally the morning food consists in part or in whole of leftover items from the day before. Sometimes rice has been a part of the meal and on the rare occasion that we have had leftover banana pudding, this has been consumed with great gusto to start the day in a proper fashion. On a recent morning it was something different indeed. I cut up a couple of fresh peaches in small pieces, nuked them in the microwave and mixed them with angel-hair pasta from the day before.

The taste was very interesting to say the least and solved at least three ‘problems’. Being wasteful with leftovers was one, striving to try something new was another and to keep myself from starving was the final one. A greater problem is that many are starving spiritually in our country that was founded on the principles of the scriptures – sad indeed – especially since Jesus made a way for “whosoever” to find forgiveness and spiritual nourishment. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I liked all your clinging... that was cute. Also, I'm a big fan of breaking the fast, but not usually with breakfast food. My personal favorite is half a ham sandwich with mustard, or else cold pizza.

:-)

9/10/2007 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Summer is giving us a respite for a change. I awoke this morning to the sound of rain and the temps will only be in the 80's. Niceeee.

Not a big fan of breakfast until 10ish or later.

9/11/2007 07:34:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ sorry the summer heat is clinging on so long. I was most
interested in your breakfast, as I do not like milk on cereal. SO I have a bowl of muesli with some fruit salad on it, and then add Fruit juice.
Thanks for your comments, and glad you liked the one-in-five Chinese
joke. As the weather gets warmer, I will have to water more than at present. Take care, sorry to hear that the biopsy was positive.
Kind regards, Merle.

9/11/2007 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What I want to know is if it's hot there or not?! It's almost noon, and I think that up here I can now remove my sweatshirt. Note: it was very steamy a few short days ago.

9/11/2007 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Still hot here! We didn't get but about 2 tenths of an inch from the storm that made up off the coast on Sunday. They say we have a greater chance of rain tomorrow coming from the west... I hope they are right.

You're right about my folks being in the sun too much. We all love the beach. One son had a cancer beside his nose. One son had it on his arm. My husband's was on his neck. All the lesser kind, Thanks be to God!! I'm still guilty of not wearing sunscreen. I have allergies and cannot stand the smell of most of them.

My brother in law was not as fortunate. He had Melanoma on his back. He fought for five years but lost his battle. Left behind a young wife and a 13 year old child in 1993. Wife and Child both doing fine. He's married and she's gonna soon be a grandma! His dad would have been so proud of both of them...

9/11/2007 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

jayleigh - I have heard of many that like cold pizza for b'fast - my stomach won't even stand for hot pizza without complaining. I enjoy pizza very much and just hurt later.

brenda - It is most often about 10am before I get around to eating. We actually got a good shower this evening, maybe the season is finally starting to change.

merle - The temp is giving a hint of relenting a bit, hopefully it doesn't change its mind next week.

AC - No more beating around the bush, it was hot! I can hardly wait to wear long sleeves again.

ancient one - I feel so sad for the many young ones that are constantly tanning their skin and then will have to pay some years down the road with the skin cancers. Bad about your BIL, cancer takes a terrible toll. ec

9/12/2007 12:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home