My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

deeming

A particular un-named afternoon found me going to my skin doc to check the site of my latest skin cancer surgery. Gratefully I made it to the doc’s office – no thanks to the hazards of traffic. Once there, I had to wait a while, that could be why it’s called a waiting room. This room of anticipation was about half full of opportunities for character study – which I did for my own entertainment.

Most ears were at least partially inclined toward the main entrance and exit to the “inner sanctum” – the treatment rooms. As some came out and others were called in, I could imagine the mental calculations going on in the room about how much longer they were going to have to wait. As I glanced from face to face, I wondered how many of them were really happy. In the midst of this clandestine reading of faces, I was called back to my destiny.

In the treatment room, I was almost through reading an interesting article in an out-dated magazine when my doc came in. She deemed the scar site OK, but espied another questionable place and decided to do a biopsy on it. While she was at it, I asked her to remove another skin growth that was non-serious but annoying. This was done and she is to let me know later about the biopsy.

On another day and at another time, my morning that had started at about half speed, revved up considerably when I found out that I was needed in the baby-sitting area of life. This was because of a doc appointment for GM3 – he was having some ENT problems. He had had an earache but was better and without fever next morning, so YD sent him to school. I picked him up at noon from kindergarten, took him home and sat with the younger boys while YD took him to the doc.

My charges were already down for a nap, so it was very quiet for a while, with the exception of the termite guy coming by for an inspection. This was all done outside and fortunately I caught him before he rang the doorbell – all was OK in this area and he shortly departed. The later moments found me listening to the gentle whoosh, whoosh of the dishwasher and staring out the windows of the den as I reclined – in a recliner, of all things. I’m not really sure whether I was staring, gazing or just looking out, but it was one of those things and at nothing in particular.

After a while GM4 came down from his nap and broke my solitude into little bitty pieces. Then a little after that YD and GM3 came in with the doc’s report that he had an inner ear infection. Relieved of my sitting duties, I went by Kroger to get some lemon-pepper rotisserie chicken to delight my taste buds – as well as some other items and headed back home.

I found the crows and starlings feasting on my figs and muscadines and fired off a couple of shots from my small shotgun to scare them away. The pellets in these shells are so small that it would have to be point blank range to even hurt one of them – but they are noisy enough to scare. Several years ago I did kill a crow semi-accidentally and felt bad about it – but then I thought about how dastardly crows were to eat other species’ babies and then felt bad about feeling bad about it.

That sounded like false guilt but whether guilt is false or real, God is able to take care of both if we will allow Him to do so. ec

5 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr.Eddie ~~ Interesting tale of a waiting room. I hope the biopsy comes back negative. More baby-
sitting duties, I see, Hope the lad with the ear infection is soon over it. Your renovations seem to be going well - that is a big job to take on. Thanks for your comments.
The lawn mower man was on time and did a great job, so will be called again. Take care, Regards, Merle.

9/06/2007 08:18:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, God has the sun shine on crows as well as robins. Of course, as with us humans, their may be some crows who actually believe that they are robins.

Glad the surgery scar is doing OK and hope the same for the biopsy report.

9/06/2007 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Hope your report is good. Found myself in the Dermatologist office yesterday too. Had two places frozen on my face. I've had a few biopsies but no skin cancer for me yet. Can't say the same for my husband and two sons. But they had best kind, if you have to have it!! I've had other cancer but so far no skin cancers! God is Good!!

9/06/2007 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope all is well with you and the skin cancers.
I have to tell you again, it is a delight to read your blog.
Betty G

9/06/2007 06:00:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

merle - The biobsy showed another cancer but it is the least serious of those - will have it taken off about three weeks hence. GM3's ear infection is now well and he is doing well in kindergarten.

SSN - I agree about the crows and robins, I think I know some of those crows in robin disguises. :)

ancient one - It came back as one of these 'lesser ones' but still has to be taken out. It is said that these come from years working out in the sun - this might be the reason for your folks' problems as well. I've had many of the frozen off kind and as you know these are no fun either but as you say, God is good!

itsboopchile - It is a skin cancer, but the least serious kind. Thanks much for your kind words. ec

9/10/2007 11:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home