My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, September 30, 2007

slippage

A new day presented itself and the mental parts of me had cranked and were running smoothly but the physical parts were sputtering and threatening to quit at any moment – they just wanted to go and sit down. As I wandered into the kitchen, pretty much limping on both feet and maybe a hand, I heard a big ruckus outside. It was a cacophony of crow caws that seemed to have urgency in their tone. I looked out the window to see a whole flock of crows yelling in their own language at a hawk that was perched on the ground.

The raptor seemed to hardly be noticing all the noise they were putting forth because it had something in its clutches but I couldn’t quite make out what it was. These black-feathered flyers were even diving at the bird of prey but at a respectful and cautious distance. My curiosity was raised just a bit, so I went outside with my small gauge shotgun to possibly upset the crows a little more – I don’t care for crows at all, a fact I have mentioned on occasion.

A little advice here, if you ever go outside in the early morning while the dew is still on the garden hose that is lying in loose coils out on the hill beside my garage, be clad in footwear other than slick bottomed flip-flops. As I stepped on the dew-covered coil of hose, my feet went up and northward and the rest of me went down and southward – with the gun in my hand. Nothing happened with the gun but my backside was still feeling the results of the fall a couple of days later.

The muscadines and blueberry bushes screened my approach and the crows didn’t even know to laugh at what happened. As I stepped from behind the cover, the hawk saw me right away and vamoosed but I don’t think the crows ever realized I was close and flew away with the hawk to try and harass it some more. With all the excitement over, I came back in the house to have breakfast.

I later donned more suitable footwear and walked down to see if I could tell what the hawk had caught. I expected to find the remains of a hapless animal of prey that the hawk had been munching on but instead I found a dead crow. None of the crow had been eaten and I concluded that it must be as distasteful to hawks as it is to humans that occasionally have to “eat crow”.

I do like hawks, I probably wouldn’t if I tended chickens but that is not the case. I admire their graceful flights, soaring so effortlessly high above the earth. I know that crows do serve a purpose but it is a more distasteful one to me. Nonetheless I still rejoice and am awed by all of God’s creation, be it animal or plant and am amazed that the God of the universe cares for someone such as me. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That slipping on the hose could have really damaged your already sputtering and threatening to quit at any moment physical parts. I’m glad it didn’t!

As I read your story, I rather suspected that the hawk had caught a crow. I can see crows squawking at a hawk that had carrion upon which they wished to dine; however, that they were diving at the bird of prey, even at a respectful and cautious distance, suggested they were attempting to save one of their own. No matter how we feel about crows, we have to respect and admire that. Many humans would not do the same.

10/01/2007 04:49:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - It more bruised my ego than any other real damage. :) The one thing that I can say about crows is that they do stick together. But they have been known to eat their dead relatives - weird. ec

10/01/2007 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

I'm not a fan of crows, either.

Glad you survived your fall non the worse. Did it startle the crows, or perhaps amuse them? They won't be laughing next time ;)

10/02/2007 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

ec,

Glad you weren't hurt- except your ego! ;)


...but- as for crows...I find them interesting to watch. Maybe I'd like them less if I saw them more! Don't see them much around here!

And- oh yes! Hawks are beautiful but I sure didn't like them when I had chickens!


Junie

10/02/2007 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

kila - The crows were making so much noise that they didn't even know that I fell. They likely never saw me at all - just the hawk.

junierose - I was glad it was early and my neighbors weren't outside to see the "graceful" fall. Crows are very intelligent but it turned me off when I saw them eating other species' helpless babies - but that is nature. ec

10/02/2007 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Ouch! Sometimes the ego is harder to get over though, eh.

All my chicks keep getting pinched by the hawks. Most frustrating! Amazingly, I'm always left with the roosters. hehehe.
Still, the birds are amazing to watch. Graceful.

10/04/2007 05:15:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

UUTW - Hopefully I learned the lesson to wear better footwear next time - a hard lesson. :) ec

10/04/2007 10:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home