My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, September 13, 2007

plethora

After a day filled with a plethora of yard work, mowing and other activities, I went to bed feeling sort of beat up – sore neck, back, heart burn from supper and my sinuses all stopped up – probably grass allergies. It was not a good bedtime scenario. I awoke the next morning with the stomach better, the neck somewhat better but with the allergies and back still not good at all. We were keeping GM6 for YD and I managed the breaking of the fast and scripture reading through his plethora of interruptions.

It has become a regular thing with him that anytime I am eating, he wants me to hold him. I think he likes me but he also wants to join in on whatever consumption I am doing. Finally through with the efforts at cranking up my morning – and the process not working very well – I gave it up and went to the recliner. Here is the point that I go deeper into the word plethora.

The first definition of plethora is an overabundance or excess, but how many is that really? To a long-tailed cat, a roomful of rocking chairs is a plethora – no matter the size of the room. To most anyone, two or three yellow jackets would be excess, maybe even one – this is because this small member of the wasp family is just mean. When it stings it leaves a scent marking that all members of its clan smell and want to come and sting there as well – real togetherness. They are not happy insects and when upset they have only one thing on their mind – to hurt something or somebody.

The word plethora seems to be nonquantifiable and to put a number on it in one situation might not work for the next. But are there words or actions to which plethora would not apply – smiling for example? Can we really have an overabundance of smiling? Can there be a plethora of efforts at striving to make others smile? Possibly this depends on the situation or person – efforts at trying to get someone to smile at their pet gerbil’s funeral might become a plethora in a hurry.

After a snooze, I found that the head had cleared up and the back even felt decent. After a call to the peach packing plant to see if they still had fruit and finding out they did, I left the little one in the Spice’s care and headed to Johnston SC to get some peaches. The one-way trip is almost exactly 30 miles and takes about 40 minutes each way, not a plethora of time if one really enjoys peaches.

On the way up and back I noticed a plethora of political signs – for candidates vying in an area wide election. One of these signs was in the edge of one of a plethora of hay fields on the way back. The grass had grown covering all but the words – elect Jack – but I wasn’t sure of his last name or office he was seeking and I found that very amusing, but as you may or may not know, it doesn’t take a lot to amuse me. I returned home with a plethora of peaches, at least for just the Spice and I.

This brings me to a plethora of serious thought – one or two at most – concerning my own goals and actions, do I spend more time striving to make others happy or trying to be happy myself? Am I more concerned about finding things for me to smile about or causing smiles in others? I have found out that as I strive to make others happy or smile, it causes those things to happen in me as well. God is always faithful, whether I am faithful to Him or not. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Kila said...

You made me smile :)

9/13/2007 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If I’m hearing you right, Mr. E., that the definition of “plethora” is rather subjective, as are our personal goals and objectives and the evaluation of them. Your personal goals remind me of a poem by a little known 19th century poet, Julia Carney:

Little deeds of kindness,
Little words of love,
Help to make the earth happy
Like the heaven above.
gji

9/14/2007 01:35:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Another good post. My dictionary has one word for plethora --excess. That is my Pocket dictionary by the computer, I have others. I hope you are feeling much better by now. Thanks for your comments, I love my wall hanging the g'kids made for me. Maybe yours will advance from crayon pictures when they get a bit older. I have had plenty of the crayon pics as well and we love them. The worst thing is when the artist asks, "What is it?" Take
care. Kind regards, Merle.

9/14/2007 05:49:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah, but do you say PLETH-or-a or ple-THOR-a.

9/14/2007 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

And I'm smiling too! Hope you're having a great weekend EC (waving)

9/15/2007 09:14:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

We seem to be having a plethora of skin cancer sitings over this way. My husband went to the doctor about a week after I did. They froze a couple of things and then biopsied a place on his stomach... came back Basal Cell cancer... so he got an appointment for November to go back and take a bigger place. Our doctor tells us if we have to have a skin cancer, this one is the easiest/best one to have. Two sons have both had this kind removed also.

9/16/2007 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

kila - Thanks - I smiled a fair amount when I wrote it. :)

SSN - Poem is so true - if we can't help someone around us, what good are we to anyone, even ourselves.

merle - Thanks! Our little world has moved about 1000 miles west - we are visiting OD and family in Texas. All are doing great.

AC - Interesting word - could it possibly be said - ple-thor-A(HHHH)?

brenda - So glad to have caused a smile. :) The Spice and I are smiling in Lake Jackson, Texas for the next several days - good to see OD and clan again.

ancient one - I do feel for them since I have been there too many times myself. Hope your husband's basal cell comes off as expected - mine is scheduled to be taken off in October. ec

9/16/2007 11:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home