My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, October 08, 2007

first aid

It was Friday night past and the second son-in-law (SSIL) invited me to go to a high school football game with him. This is the school attended by gruntmonkey one (GM1), she is in the band and they would be performing a full show at halftime. While high school football is not at the top of the list of things I enjoy doing, I do enjoy being with family members and watching gruntmonkeys perform.

We arrived early to be sure to get a parking spot in the area that GM1 would be exiting at game’s end. We got a good spot and wound our way over to the home team side. I brought a foam cushion to sit on but as the night wore on it turned out to be much too thin – that or the metal bleachers were too hard. The home team was getting soundly thrashed when half time break arrived.

During half time the visitors band played first and they did fair, even though we couldn’t hear them very well since they were turned toward the visitor’s stands. Then it was time for the event presented by the home team band and they did a Christmas show. Even though it might have been rushing the season and I might be a bit prejudiced because of GM1’s involvement in it, they did it in impressive fashion. Not only did they perform well, they looked good while doing it.

In the second half of the game the home team started coming back and was only one score down, in spite of the fact that they seemed to be outsized by the other team. They scored a touchdown in the last few minutes and went for the two-point conversion to win – they were stopped short and the game ended as a loss by one point – 27 to 26. At least the home team band outclassed theirs.

It took a while for the band to get off the field and stow their instruments but GM1 finally got to our arranged meeting place and we all headed home. I made my way to our homestead with a tired back and backside – maybe I should have brought a triple thickness cushion.

Saturday morning came and I set about beginning the day with the normal stuff, even though I am not normally a normal type person – even though that is sometimes not the norm – but I do have a friend named Norm – not the norm I was speaking of, even though Norm seems to be fairly normal.

Then I wandered on down to my workshop to finish the game boards for the corn toss game I had been working on. Remaining to be done was to attach the legs to the back of the board – this enables the board to be set at an angle, plus it needed a second coat of paint. The proper sized screws had been lacking but these had been acquired the day before and the legs were then attached.

The legs had to be cut off at an angle and a height to have the front of the board at 4 inches and the back at 12 inches. These were cut and I smoothed the cut with an electric planer – shaving off a thin layer of wood at each pass. As only carelessness can teach, I was taught the lesson that a planer can not only cut wood, but skin as well – and I sprang a quick leak of bodily fluid from two digits.

Grateful to still have the two fingers, I wrapped them with a shop rag and finished up this portion of construction. It did irk me a bit that I dripped blood on the side of one board – but I got it cleaned off. After some first aid, I came back down and put the final coat of paint on the boards. Sometimes we have the need of spiritual first aid right in the middle of a job for God – and He loves enough to sooth our hurts and encourage, does not belittle and will offer us needed wisdom on which to continue – I will say again, God is good, all the time. ec

7 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I managed to impale myself on a staple this morning. Those things hurt. Glad you're okay.

Your comment came in just as I was updating the blog. He had an even better day today but you may not want to read it. I'm still talking about food - this time yogurt.

Thanks for the kind words, the thoughts, and, I'm sure, the prayers.

10/09/2007 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch! Or, as Alex would say, “me-ow-ouch.”

10/09/2007 04:56:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Sorry to hear of your mishap and glad it was no worse.
Are the games finished now?
Thanks for the comments, glad you liked Chicken Little. I am fairly
confident that the lump on my wrist is a ganglion and nothing serious.
Take greater care, Kind regards, Merle.

10/09/2007 06:37:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Hey,

Things are busy over my way right now. Been to the funeral home twice since last Thursday. We have revival going on this week at church. A group of men came down with the guest Preacher and they are building an addition to our chuch this week.

Sorry you cut your fingers. I remember when my oldest GS wanted to use the jig saw. His GD said it would be all right. I couldn't stand the thought. So I went with him to the shop to make sure he would be ok. I stood right there and watched him push the board and his finger into the saw blade... Minor cut.

Youngest GS is having a concert tonight at school. He plays trombone. I will miss this one for church tonight!!

Have a good Day/night !!

10/09/2007 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - Ouch, I have done the staple impalement thing a few times and you are right they are no fun. Glad for the good news about Ray.

SSN - I can almost hear the "me-ouch" over the noise of the blog. :)

merle - The game boards are finally finished - good thing, I was running out of ways to hurt myself. The one written about, several splinters, a bruised leg and a stubbed toe.

ancient one - The cuts are so easy to get and take a long time to heal. Sounds like a good revival - and the men working on the addition are every bit ministers as well. ec

10/11/2007 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well Mr E, that's a long appointment, but you seem very patient and serene about it.

10/12/2007 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - I always strive to have something to do to keep me occupied - this time it was crossword puzzles. Serenity is a goal that I always work toward and most of the time it is achieved. ec

10/15/2007 04:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home