My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

graft

As I have mentioned before, I don’t usually get out and about in the early morning – this part of the day is spent trying to get awake and make sure all the parts of my body, mind and such are functioning somewhere close to what some would consider normal – whatever that is.

Today was different; I had an early doc appointment and these morning drivers amazed me again. I was buzzing along at or near the speed limit and two different cars, both of them young women, blew by me like a you-know-what out of you-know-where. Nobody should ever be that late for work.

As a retired old-timer I have earned the right to shake my head, give a slight smile and deny that I had ever been that bad. My quick conclusion was that I had not – this conclusion came after a slight adjustment of the halo. The halo adjustment was necessary because I remembered the last speeding ticket I got – and although this was back in the mid-seventies, it was for speeding on the way to work. From my haughty point of view, I don’t think I would do it again – maybe.

The purpose of this visit to my skin doc was to get a basal cell cancer removed (read – CUT OUT). They told me in advance that it would be about a 4-hour visit. This is because she first would cut out the growth; check it under the microscope to see if it was all gone and if necessary, cut again. A second cutting was necessary and after each cutting, they would bandage the wound and I would wait in the waiting room. By the time I finished waiting I had completed 3 crossword puzzles.

After this second cutting, I was called back and told that she had gotten it all but the cut was too wide to stitch together and I would have to have a skin graft – a first for me. This didn’t sound like a pain-free option but it was the only one offered. She first “harvested” a patch of skin from my thigh and stitched it into the skin gap on my head. This “harvesting” of skin was about what I did to my fingers last week with the electric planer – the skin “harvesting” was no fun on either account.

The appointment was for 8:15am and when I finally walked out, all stitched and bandaged, it was nearing 2pm. I was told not to get either site wet for a week – very inconvenient and raising the possibility of a malodorous event or two. On my doc’s advice, I allowed the sun to set without fulfilling my walking commitment – hopefully tomorrow the walks can continue.

I was grateful to be rid of the maleficent growth, blessed because of God’s provisions, joyous because of His mercy and overwhelmed by the love God shows in the salvation that He provides for “whosoever will” accept it. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad the doc got the thingy off your head.

Time-wise, Mr. E., that sounds like my last visit to the orthopedic clinic at the V.A. hospital. By the time I got home (about the same you as you got home) I was exhausted and retired to nap the rest of the day. I did not even consider going out for a constitutional.

Hope you get you walk in today.

10/11/2007 02:22:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, thank our Lord for the knowledge and skills He gives to people today to care for our problems. Cancer is such an awful word.
But, sounds like you had good care and will heal. Dean had a cancer removed, cut out, on one ear and while they took a big chunk out, it is barely noticeable now.
Life with God is good.
Betty G

10/11/2007 08:14:00 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Ouch. You must be worn out.

10/11/2007 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

ec,

Hope this heals well and fast for you.


Junie

10/11/2007 08:34:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

My husband will go back next month to get a larger "cut out" on the last biopsy he had done. He was told that one was cancer and they would need to cut more. I don't think they said it would need a graft, but we'll see.

I hope you are done with those basal cells for good!

I just wish we could get in the habit of wearing that sunscreen, but the only time I think of it is when I know I'm going to the beach. And neither one of us likes to wear a hat.

I pray that your wound will heal qickly. God Is Good!!

10/12/2007 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

I hope it heals quickly for you!

God Bless :)

10/12/2007 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Just checking to see how you're doing and what you've been up to. I hope your "wounds" heal quickly and as painlessly as possible.

10/15/2007 12:53:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - I do know that the VA hospitals visits can be frustratingly long - this from taking my FIL before his passing and now with my BIL.

itsboopchile - Yes, life with God is good - and unthinkablely hopeless without Him.

granny - I did find the recliner when I got back home - it felt like I had worked an 8 hour day.

junierose - It seems to be healing well but not nearly fast enough. :)

ancient one - Hopefully his surgery will go well - and without a graft. I have already had about 8 cut out over the years and I too would hope this is all of them - I can think of more fun things to do than being "put in stitches". :)

kila - Thanks, and so far, so good - they usually do heal fairly quickly.

brenda - My weekends are pretty occupied with church and such - it's bad when one doesn't have time to blog. They are healing well and fairly painlessly - if I don't do something stupid - which I am sometimes prone to do. :) ec

10/15/2007 04:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home