My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, February 15, 2009

TX 0209 1

Saturday – 02-14-2009. Upon checking the stats on Lake Jackson, Texas, I found the elevation to be 13 feet above sea level and about 12 miles from the coast. Freeport, Texas, on the coast, is the area in which FSIL works and its elevation is 0 feet (sea level). These stats piqued my curiosity about my own home turf in South Carolina and found it to be located 148 feet above sea level – not quite as elevated as I had thought.

So far on this visit we have not been bothered by the normal hordes of blood-sucking insects but I don’t want to speak too soon as they may hear me and swoop in for a raid. The temp is usually a few degrees warmer than back in South Carolina and thus far has been very pleasant with only a couple of showers on Valentine’s Day.

We arrived in Texas on Wednesday and the next day, the 12th, was OD’s birthday. The celebration was low key with just the family but very meaningful nonetheless, I will not go into the number of these events she has enjoyed – she might frown on that. Then came Friday the 13th, this is a day considered unlucky by many.

Luck is defined as: the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping events or opportunities. To those that hold too this belief in luck, Friday the 13th is the ultimate of the bad luck side. According to studies some people are so paralyzed by fear on this day that they avoid their normal routines in doing business, taking flights or even getting out of bed. This writer does not hold to a belief in luck.

When one has a personal relationship with the One who made and still controls the universe, One who also loves those persons of His creation and desires the best for them, there is no need for another controlling force in one’s life, especially a pseudo or guess-work one such as luck. Anyway, this supposed unlucky day was a wonderful one of family time together, with a few chores thrown in for good measure.

One of these chores on my part was to drive over to a large retail outlet to obtain an item or so to express my affection for the Spice of my life on the morrow. Valentine’s Day dawned and upon her arising, I presented the Spice with my meager offerings. First there was the appropriately mushy card – appropriately appreciated – then I gave her a tin of cashews – her favorite – and told her this symbolized that I was just nuts about her.

Then, I gave her a small, pink stuffed monkey and told her this meant that I still go ape for her. Her large smile told me that I had chosen well; also saying that one doesn’t have to break the bank to show true affection. We are enjoying our relaxing time with family, with a few household projects thrown in to make it even better for me. Life is good and God is even better. ec

3 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Good job on the Valentine's Day presents. Spice was blessed with a Good Husband !

2/16/2009 09:20:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Mr. Eddie ~~ I am glad you had a safe trip and I hope your daughter enjoyed her birthday as much as the Spice enjoyed her Valentine's gifts.
Thanks for your comments and it was lovely of my grandson to bring hid girl to meet me and I thoroughly
enjoyed their visit. Take care,
Regards, Merle.

2/17/2009 06:57:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - Thanks, she does seem to like me fairly well. :)

Merle - As with you, our family visits are the best. Relationships are very precious, more so than material things by far. ec

2/18/2009 12:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home