My Photo
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, March 09, 2009

TX 0209 6

This installment wraps up our Texas trip narrative – just as well since we have been back home over a week.

All too soon Wednesday the 25th of February came into recorded history and we finished packing, loaded up and headed to the Houston airport. I sat in the back with GM5 so we could talk about ‘guy’ stuff. On the journey my mind once again went to thoughts of earlier in the week about the lack of pine trees in their area.

Only a very few pines were noted between OD’s home and the airport. It’s not that I am such a fan of pine trees because they are so easily damaged in a storm but they are so much a part of the landscape around our home turf that it was very different. Many years ago we had all of the ones near our house taken down for safety sake. We do have a few along one property border and down near the pond.

When we arrived at the airport main entrance we put the finishing touches on our good-byes and went in – the main hugging and all was done before we left her house – to minimize the time of unhappy partings. We got checked in and made it through security OK. The flight to Atlanta was routine and we even had a layover at that location – not a problem at all considering our rush there on the flight out.

We had plenty of time to relax and get a bite to eat, even if the hotdogs did have the toughest skin either of us had ever encountered – not bad other than that. We checked when we deplaned and our departure gate had changed and by the time we finished eating it had changed again – not a problem as long as we do leave. We just sat back and relaxed a bit. Ask me sometime about the loud flirting a guy was doing in the hearing of all.

The Augusta flight was on time, short and uneventful. Our airport is not a huge one and we were surprised that we actually walked across a ramp to get in the terminal – usually we go down the steps of the plane and back up into the terminal. When we landed we called YD and she was in route. We got our checked luggage, went outside and after a short wait, YD and her young crew came for us.

They were glad to see us and of course the feeling was mutual. We did see many pines on the way home, a landscape that was familiar and welcome. It was so good to get home and each return seems to get better as I get older. I don’t think the trip was long enough to result in jet lag but we were both very worn around the edges. As the Word says, “Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.” ec


Blogger ancient one said...

we have pines and they are messy.. I have buckets of pine cones to pick up...maybe tomorrow..

3/09/2009 09:53:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - The only pine I have close to the house is on the line between us and our neighbor. He has said that I could cut it down but I just haven't had the time. ec

3/26/2009 12:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home