My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

flapping

At the beginning of a recent walk I startled a deer, evidently it was at the pond even though I didn’t see where it came from until it bounded across the driveway in front of me and flashed down through the woods. I say flashed because it showed the backside of its tail in typical white-tailed deer fashion as it departed. A bit later in the walk a flock of geese took off from the pond and during my next lap, another flock departed in like manner – about 30 geese, counting both groups.

With a flock of geese being more correctly called a gaggle while on the ground and a skein while in flight, I’m not sure what the process of taking flight is called, if indeed there is a name for it, other than the obvious. Then if they started to take flight and changed their little geese minds, how long would they have to be in process before the name of their group would change and change back?

The pond is down to a mere mud puddle of its former self, albeit a rather large one. It started out at about 3 acres and is now down to just over half of that. Many trees and stumps that were semi-buried on the bottom for fish habitation are now showing their scraggly, knotty selves. Nonetheless, the wildlife continues to gather there and do well.

A new day started and the first event outside of the norm was to go over to a nearby fast-food restaurant to meet some old friends for coffee – even though I don’t drink coffee – possibly that should be friends of long standing - - OK, let’s face it, they were old. We caught up on many past and current events, swapped yarns and stories and just generally had a good time flapping our jaws.

The last of my phone company friends were leaving as another friend from my high school graduation class came into the place. We yapped a while and I excused myself to go on to Wal-Mart to pick up a few necessary items. Even though I did spend almost 42 dollars, the people wandering about the place offered some interesting entertainment.

One main entertainment came from taking note of the folk’s many shopping styles. These were observed in the grocery end of the store and the first noted was the “get-out-of-my-way” kind and I managed to avoid cart collisions with several of these. Then there was the “I-don’t-have-a-clue-my-cart-is-in-the-way” type, leaving their cart in the middle of the aisle as they wander off on a search.

Another would be the “where-am-I-and-what-am-I-doing-here” kind – those who wander around looking at the aisle signs hoping this will key something in their memory as to why they came in the first place. None of these described me as I methodically went up and down each aisle for my basic list items and anything else that struck my fancy – which at times is easily stricken.

I savored the experience of gathering the items and enjoyed the assortment of entertainments I encountered and finally headed for the area of the cashiers. When one can feel joy while headed for the Wal-Mart cashier, he is either a bit wacko or he has a joy from a much higher source. While I don’t deny a bit of the wacko part, my source of joy is God – He is good, all the time! ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Granny said...

I stash my cart where it won't be in the way and walk up one aisle and down the next (unless I'm picking up too much stuff from those aisles. When I have all I can carry I head for the cart.

Provided I can remember where I left it.

It's not unlike finding my car.

10/16/2007 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

God is the ultimate high!

I didn't realize the geese went in your direction, also. Wisconsin gets many thousands of them on their way south as they leave Canada. They are very noisy and make quite a mess, but it is fun to watch them. Your geese questions would be good ones for my DH--he hunts geese and knows way too much about them ;)

10/16/2007 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I have been so tired the last few nights, I never get round to reading all the blogs. I hope your head and graft sie -your thigh have both healed well. I also
enjoy watching people when I'm shopping and wondering about their
lives etc. And we learn so much from the youngsters in our lives.
Thanks for your comments about mu new header that my brother put on for me.
Take care, Kind regards, Merle.

10/17/2007 05:31:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a friend who is a pastor in Michigan. Once a week he joins “the old guys” (he’s now 62 so you guess their ages) at a fast food joint for breakfast coffee and to shoot the bull. He considers those mornings as sacred even though he passionately dislikes fast food joints. Of course, “the old guys” meet there for coffee and talk every week day.

Personally, I prefer communing with deer and geese and nature in general.

10/17/2007 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I had no idea that your "pond" was three acres. Good grief!

10/18/2007 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

granny - With a large parking lot, I too have to be careful to remember exactly where I parked. A couple of years ago, I came out of the post office and tried to open my car to no avail and much frustration. It seems that one of the same make and color parked right next to mine. I then walked to mine, glancing around to see if anyone saw me. :)

kila - These geese don't seem to migrate - except for back and forth between ponds of the area. I guess they found all they need right here.

merle - Both surgery sites are doing well - still a bit of tenderness on the thigh - they tell me the healing takes longer there.

SSN - I don't care to go these chat places every morning for a couple of reasons, one, I don't get everything cranked up very early and second, I don't drink coffee at all. I too enjoy the communing with nature, early or late.

AC - The pond is not considered a very big one around here. Our land only takes in one side of the pond and I noticed tonight on my evening walk that all but a small amount of our part is now dirt. We really need some rain. ec

10/18/2007 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Nature is balm for the soul. I could envision that deer leaping away when you approached. Deer are magnificent creatures. I love seeing them in their natural habitat.

We have hundreds of Canadian Geese here. They make their home and nests along the river. We watch for them to return each spring and watch them leave each fall, though not all of them fly south.

People watching can be a lot of fun. People do the craziest things, don't they?

Thanks for an interesting read.

Blessings,
Mary

10/19/2007 02:39:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

mary - The geese we have here don't seem to migrate at all, unless you count the 4 or 5 miles to another nearby pond. I too enjoy God's creations, be it animal, tree or plant. ec

10/23/2007 12:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home