My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, October 18, 2007

sprint

Autumn has begun and it reminds me of the seasons of life and whether I have paid attention or not, I’m in the autumn and maybe even early winter of my life. It seems to me that most folks tend to think a different way as they age. Even though most of my writings do not particularly lean toward the more serious parts of life, the serious is usually underlying them all.

Many older folks would like to be younger and even spend a lot of money on methods and elixirs that promise to make them feel or be that way. The health problems that I have had over the last year have been a trial but I am fighting my way back to a more active lifestyle even as I write. In spite of all this I don’t feel woeful about not being young anymore. I almost revel in the fact that I have been allowed to stay on the earth this long and enjoy the blessings that God has given over the years.

But the thought crossed my mind during a recent walk that begged the question – What do I really miss about being young – or younger? Several answers came back to my mind of physical things that I no longer want to do or can’t do very well – but one stood out above the others.

To set up the scenario, in my younger years I was a runner – or to be more technically correct, somewhere between jogging and running – on a given day, more one than the other. I began this on March 19th of 1969 and my last running mile was completed on November 10th of 1987 – according to my record book – and the running came to a halt because of back problems.

My normal running distance was 2 or 3 miles, occasionally 4 or 5 and usually my first lap was a bit fast and then I would settle into a saner pace to finish up. This except for the last lap and more than all the other was the lap that I miss even today. Most of my running was done on a quarter mile dirt track at a local middle school and as I started into the last lap of my run, I turned the speed up just a bit and then the last 100 yards would be an all out sprint to the finish line.

This sprint is the thing that I miss the most – the exhilaration of the all-out effort, spending every bit of energy that I had left, with only my toes touching the track surface in this feeling of near flight. I never ran track in school nor did I have any other sports interest because of an early morning paper route that tended to take energy away from anything else I might have been involved in – it also served to keep me out of trouble – I got sleepy by about 9pm.

But even this lost ability to sprint pales in comparison to all the things that I still have in my family and in my Lord Jesus Christ. Everything I have that is good, decent and right are found in my God and His love for me and mine for Him – nuff said. ec

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well said, Mr. E.

“It is a mistake to regard age as a downhill grade toward dissolution. The reverse is true. As one grows older, one climbs with surprising strides.” ~ George Sand

10/19/2007 02:05:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I enjoyed your post. As we grow older I think we tend to value the finer things in life - namely, the value of family and friends. When we are young, we tend to focus on material things and yes, I believe we think differently as we reach the autumn years of our lives.

Thanks for the reminder that growing old is coming nearer to our eternal home.

10/19/2007 02:33:00 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I suppose, during my Autumn of life, I'm happy to just be waking up every morning.

10/19/2007 07:29:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I remember when one might walk somewhere in order to exercise there. Now, the walking is exercise.

10/19/2007 01:13:00 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I don't usually go off topic in a comment box but the husband of an online friend has asked for prayers and I didn't know when you'd take a look at my blog.

I wrote about it here.

Thanks,

Ann

10/20/2007 02:35:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

I am so thankful to be able to get older and in my dreams I think I'd like to go places and see things, but I'm trying to be content. God knows what is best for me!!

10/20/2007 09:49:00 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ I am quite happy in the late Autumn of my life. There are some things I cannot do any more, but so many more that I can and I have learned to accept the things I have lost (like real gardening etc) We can just be thankful for what we do have and there is no end of the joys and
beauty we are surrounded by. Thanks for your comments of the Whining poem Have you heard of the 108 year old blogger from Australia. Olive is full of beans and so alert and has been on the News world wide.
She is in my Aussie blogroll under Olive. Thake care, Cheers, Merle.

10/21/2007 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - I determined years ago to enjoy every year of age and event of life as unique and precious. The determination has served me well.

mary - The relationships are the things that are most precious - even the grandkids that might step all over a nerve or two. Thanks for stoppiong by.

brenda - There is much to be said for waking every morning. :)

AC - Very true, I remember it well. Now, I keep walking so that I will be able to keep walking.

granny - I did pray for him, thanks for letting me know.

ancient one - " . . Godliness with contentment is great gain." Then a take off on an old saying I heard - gratitude is riches, complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had with God was wonderful.

merle - You're right, we can be thankful for what we still have, because the complaining would take away or lessen these good parts. ec

10/23/2007 12:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home