My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Thursday, April 16, 2009

MS 0409



YD and her family wanted to go to the area in Mississippi from which I emanated – on what would have to be considered a “roots” journey. She wanted me to go to show her family many of the places I knew back when I was a young sprout – as well as visiting some kin that are starting to get older. We decided to take two vehicles because one would be too crowded and nobody wanted to ride tied to the top of the van.

When we arrived at YD’s on Saturday AM, April 4th, two young ones were appointed to ride with us on the way out and the other two would do so on the way back – which was fine with us. Our route was via I-20 most of the way and by some sort of miracle, our first stop was at the Alabama welcome center, about 200 miles from home. YD had packed some items for sandwiches and we had a picnic there at one of the outdoor tables.

This stop also allowed the young ones to expel some of the pent up energy that is always part of a long trip for young ones. Next stop was for fuel and other necessary functions just on the other side of Birmingham. Only one other stop was made, this was about 10 miles from our destination and it was to allow GM1 to drive the last few miles for practice, since she is approaching 16 and time for a driver’s license.

Our first stop was at my aunt’s house to let her see the three young lads that she had never seen – she had seen the younger version of GM1 several years earlier. After a while we went on over to my sister’s place for an evening of visiting and had supper with her. YD, SSIL and their four young ones stayed there for the night and the Spice and I went back to my aunt’s place to bunk.

On Sunday afternoon we went to the country cemetery where many of my kin are buried. We started at my Mon and Dad’s grave site and continued with my grandparents and great-grandparents. Several great uncles and aunts are also interred there, including one great uncle that got killed along with a friend of his in some sort of train accident. There were possibly traveling as hobos and were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We wandered all over the cemetery looking for kin for several hours. SSIL had brought his metal detector and searched around the old adjoining church for any lost objects underground. The young ones tired of this adventure and since we brought both vehicles, the ladies took them back to their place of stay and I took SSIL to the rural community center built on the site of an old grammar school to check for buried stuff there.

In the evening we visited with my cousin – the one that years ago introduced me to the girl that later became Tammy Wynette – she was an excellent singer even back then and we saw each other most every day for the two weeks I was down there. We spoke of these things and many others, past and present. The day ended with a multitude of memories tumbling through the mind. But God is still good and that all the time. TBC ec

PS – The photos are of YD and family seated on the hearth of my aunt’s fireplace and of GM3, 4 and 6 clowning it up a bit at the old home place. The aforementioned fireplace is made from field stones found on their property years ago.

4 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

I love history... everyone's...and mine...I love road trips like that to find kinfolk in old graveyards and see the old homeplaces... Thanks for sharing...

4/17/2009 08:20:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - It was the young lad's first trip to this area but they seemed to enjoy it. ec

4/19/2009 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

So fun to see photos of your family after reading about them so long :) Good looking family.

5/01/2009 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Kila - You might say they are some of my favorite people in the world. :) ec

5/02/2009 01:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home