My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Sunday, May 10, 2009

sprouts

The definitions of sprout addressed in this writing are – a) a new growth from a seed, rootstock, or the like or b) something suggesting a sprout, as a young person. As mentioned in other writings of bygone days, my favorite season is spring and a large part of this favoriteness is the sprouts that burst forth on plants, bushes and trees. And a major part of the sprouts that are looked forward to are the ones coming forth in my veggie garden.

This garden is always a part of my year and I only remember one year in the last 39 that I didn’t plant one. The year was 2000 and I was working a lot of overtime plus the fact that my ancient tiller was very non-cooperative in the area of cranking. Next year a new one was purchased and the gardens continued. This year the garden was planted and every time I glanced that way I was expecting sprouts to be breaking the ground.

About a week after the planting the first seeds started doing just that – sprouting. Unless you are or have ever been a gardener, it is hard to imagine the feeling this gives the planter thereof. I guess it would be a feeling somewhere between the emotions of Christmas and July 4th when the seeds germinate and send their shoots exploding slowly upwards through the soil – of course there is the disappointment if some don’t sprout.

So far this year the okra seeds and cucumbers have started out well with hardly a missing plant – the squash are another story with about a fourth of them needing to be replanting. The tomatoes are also being troublesome this year with several of them dying straightaway. I planted 24 of them and had 4 spares, now the spares have been planted and it looks like I am going to need a few more – not sure what is causing this.

The 4 new pomegranates are also having some difficulties – I was told when they were bought that they were very late to sprout leaves and they truly are that. I am now seeing sprouts on two of them and possibly a third but the fourth one looks to have bitten the dust. I gave them all this past week to come to their senses or they will be replaced – my nursery has agreed to replacement plants but I wanted to be sure of their demise.

This brings us to the other definition of sprouts under consideration. These are the locally residing and Texas living gruntmonkeys of OD and YD and they are sprouting well – of course their sprouting takes a lot longer and many more emotions are involved. Some of these are good and others not so much so. Our desire for all our sprouts is that they grow up healthy and produce good fruit – or veggies. Sprouts are good and so is God. ec

PS – The photos are of cucumber sprouts, okra sprouts and boy sprouts.

10 Comments:

Blogger Viv said...

Now, how can I get seedlings for boy sprouts? I could use a few to lighten up my life!

5/13/2009 07:54:00 PM  
Blogger ancient one said...

I'm glad you told us which sprouts were which... LOL

I placed about six large pots around our pole that holds the outside night light... in these pots I have planted running speckled butter beans...They have all sprouted... I only had one pot there last year and got a handful of beans... so this year I'm going for a "mess"...LOL

5/13/2009 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Mr. Eddie ~~ Good to see your vegie garden sprouting and fruit beginning to set on your trees and vines. You have done a lot of work, but will reap the benefits soon.
Thanks for your comments. I still say the fall was inside and on carpet, and was definitely gentle.
I have had a few of the falling like a ton of bricks. Main thing, I am feeling so much better of late. Take care. Regards, Merle.

5/14/2009 09:23:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How are you, Mr. Eddie. I note that you've not posted in a month. I pray that you're OK.

6/11/2009 03:56:00 AM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Wanted to drop by and say HELLO!

Hope that you are well. It would seem that you too have gone AWOL.
I hope for fun, and no other reason.

Blessings,friend.

7/06/2009 05:43:00 AM  
Blogger ancient one said...

Bet you can't get away from those blue berry bushes... ours are really producing this year....

7/06/2009 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you around, my friend?

Are you OK?

7/06/2009 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

CabinWriter - They are a bit hard to find. :)

ancient one - Nothing like watching a garden grow. And yes I am pickin' and grinnin' about blueberries.

Merle - I have not picked much produce and that is a good thing.

SSN - So sorry for the absence - we have been caring for MIL, on vacation, and have had sleep in company for about 3 weeks now. All is well just very busy - thanks for your concern.

UUTW - AWOL, yes and mostly for fun, and mostly very busy.
ec

7/08/2009 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Merle - That last comment to you should have read that I have picked much produce - I need to slow down and think. :) ec

7/08/2009 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful to see you, Mr. Eddie!

7/08/2009 01:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home