My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, October 26, 2009

splitting

Today was a day like many others but only in the respect that the sun came up and was actually visible for a short while until it clouded over again. It started out with the taking of nourishment of physical and spiritual natures. Then I loaded up the trash and ‘trucked’ it to the gathering station. I stopped by the post office for the mail then it was on to Wally world. Upon arriving I tried to find a cart without bumpy wheels – almost did.

Picked up several odds and ends and a few grocery items – came to over 30 bucks – cheap from the usual. Back home the Spice and I dined on leftover chili – still very good. Then I kicked back in the recliner, had a dessert of vanilla frozen yogurt with walnuts and apricot preserves on top – yum! Then I had a cup of hot Ovaltine in their chocolate malt flavor and gathered my thoughts and energy for some outside adventures.

I decided to split some firewood – I do this by hand – or more correctly said, I use a manually operated splitting maul and wedge. This went well but the stack was getting tall and a bit shaky, so I went to find a scrap pipe to drive in the ground to steady the stack. I found one with the diameter of 1½ inches and picked it up to see if it was long enough. To my great surprise and shock, a snake fell out the other end!

My brain instantly recognized that it was non-poisonous but my feet were not listening to the message sent to them and they were doing their weird little escape dance. By the time I had got them under control I was unable to find the snake and was never able to see it face-to-face to identify it – if they really have faces. With the heartbeats back to normal I drove the pipe into the ground and it braced the stack nicely.

With the light nigh unto fading, I quit this effort, went in the house, changed to walking gear and went for my evening walk. With a near perfect temp for this endeavor, I put the legs in nearly top gear and finished my three miles in a second under 45 minutes. Exercise of this nature helps keep a person active – even if it does take a few minutes to recover from it. A little later I went to the basement for exercise of a strengthening nature.

FYI – The Spice’s Mom is still in the hospital and still needs prayer. She seems to be slightly better but has a long way to go to get back to where she was. If you didn’t know, she is living with us now and went to the ER last Wed. Not a fun time but a part of life and you never regret the time spent with loved ones like this. Even in this God is still good, all the time. ec

3 Comments:

Blogger ancient one said...

Hope Spice's mom is better soon... Couldn't help but laugh out loud about your feet not listening to your brain when you saw the snake... he'll probably show up again in the wood pile.. haven't been by in a while.. enjoyed this post!

10/28/2009 08:28:00 PM  
Blogger Kila said...

I love all the exercise you get!

11/01/2009 12:52:00 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

ancient one - MIL was better but is back in the hospital today. The snake was exciting! :)

Kila - Just trying my best to stay ahead of old age - not the years but the symptoms. :) ec

11/12/2009 01:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home