My Photo
Name:
Location: Clearwater, South Carolina, United States

Monday, October 22, 2007

hooey

Shortly after beginning an evening walk I noticed a whole flock, gathering or gaggle of geese on the shore of the far side of the pond. They were spaced out every few feet from the water’s edge to about halfway up the hill toward MIL’s house. The whole lot of them seemed to be at rest, with most even hunkered down or squatted on the ground. Since they seldom stay the night on one of these two ponds, it was as if they were waiting for some signal to fly elsewhere to their evening abode.

It seemed a bit odd to me that they were scattered about in this arrangement and as my mind is wont to do, I started putting human thoughts to their actions. Could there be a deeper meaning in the pattern of the geese on the hillside? In that they were strewn in that fashion, maybe they were trying to give me a message – since I was the only one that would see them at that time.

Could the fact that they were all scattered on the hillside be telling me that I shouldn’t let my thoughts scatter so much. In that they were all so relaxed in their positions could be telling me that I don’t need to be all uptight before I “fly” off to some task I deem important yet odious – just stay cool. Maybe this arrangement of geese was saying to me that if you want to be the top goose on the hillside, you just have to keep walking up the slope – no matter how steep or rough it might be.

Not being an expert on interpretive goose spacing, I really wasn’t sure what they were doing. They probably figured that I was a novice anyway and they could just say anything they wanted to by it and I wouldn’t know the difference. They may have been laughing up their little goose sleeves because of my goose ignorance – much like those in a foreign country would laugh at us when we don’t understand – maybe even some in this country as well that speak other languages.

There is always the chance that their positions on the hillside were nothing more than a reflection of goose pecking order. But I couldn’t prove that because at the time they weren’t pecking – maybe the pecking was done at another event to which I wasn’t privy. Anyway, on my third lap of walking they all started to either saunter or meander further up the hill. Then at the honking signals of the ‘higher on the hill’ geese, they all took flight – causing me to lean more toward the pecking order theory.

Then it is always possible that I am assuming much too much intelligence in the actions of the geese and all this conjecture is just a bunch of hooey, which is very similar to baloney and a close cousin to malarkey. The bad part of the flight was that it started when I was at the far end of my circuit and behind MIL’s house and was unable to count the number of flight participants. The usual number is about 30 but this group seemed to be somewhat larger than that.

Anyway, I had a good walk, as well as entertainment as I went – I smiled, I laughed – mostly at my own thoughts – and even sweated a fair amount. Personally I think God was good to make all that available for me to view and I am grateful to Him for it. ec

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I’m glad you had a good walk, Mr. E. Personally, I have found that I am incapable of interpreting the actions of geese—or cats.

10/23/2007 01:03:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's always nice to take your walks with you. There are some of us out here who has trouble walking anywhere.
Think of us when you take these lovely walks, and we thank you.
Betty G

10/23/2007 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

SSN - I do have fun with putting my thoughts with their actions. I doubt that they even have a thought process. :)

itsboopchile - I always do better when I walk and each walk seems to make me better able to do the next one. ec

10/24/2007 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I just now learned that when flying a gaggle of geese is really a skein. What that has very little to do with your post, I don't know. :)

10/25/2007 08:04:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sloppy editing up above. :)

10/25/2007 08:05:00 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

AC - I find so many odd words while just rummaging around the dictionary. Perfectly good words that are just not used very much. ec

10/30/2007 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home